Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Spring 2008 Fashion Trends

msewing1 | Posted in Gather For A Chat on

Hey…

Does anyone know anything about the new fashion trends for this season?? Just curious! = )

Replies

1. Teaf5 | | #1

While sick at home last week, I caught snippets of the trend forecast on various tv shows: neon brights (lime green, orange,strong pinks), lots of blue and white, and big, graphic florals. Oh, and high-waisted, wide-legged trousers. Somewhere, I saw a snarky response: "Florals for spring? How groundbreaking!" And the segment on high-waisted, wide-legged trousers featured a young, slim model trying on several different pairs before finding one that didn't make her look lumpy and heavy! The "lots of blue" won't be hard, though!

1. msewing1 | | #2

Thanks. Yes...I've noticed that not very many ppl can wear high waisted, wide legged trousers without looking weird. = ) I kno I can't!!! Thanks again!

2. MaryinColorado | | #5

Oh, I can just about have nightmares about large bright floral prints on me.....it would make a good Halloween costume, I could go as a beach ball! 

I do look good in orange, but it doesn't suit my personality so it ends up lonely in the closet. 

3. GailAnn | | #10

Lumpy and Heavy.

Don't we all feel that way sometimes?

Yet, still beautiful on the inside.

In 2008, let's concentrate on allowing inner beauty to shine through. 

Gail

Edited 1/26/2008 4:38 pm ET by GailAnn

1. msewing1 | | #12

Thanks! That sooooo makes me feel better!!! = ) True.....we should let our inner beauty shine through. Maybe that will find it's way into my goals for this year....ha ha. = )

2. Tatsy | | #3

It sounds like we're still caught in that '60s, '70s time warp. I remember wearing those things when I had a figure.

1. msewing1 | | #4

HA HA!! lol. Wow. History does repeat itself.....even in clothing!!! = )

1. damascusannie | | #6

There's a quote that says something like, "Those who don't study history are doomed to repeat it." Boy, is that the truth! How can the same girls who laugh at our yearbook photos, not see that they are wearing THE SAME CLOTHES today?! Sometimes it works, though. My youngest daughter, Rachel bought my oldest daughter a vintage swing coat in ivory wool for Christmas ($5 at the thrift store.) Susan wore it to the symphony on New Year's Eve over a glitzy, "New Look" style cocktail dress (black lace over gold satin) with matching gold elbow length gloves and got many compliments. At Susan's, a wedding this winter, Rachel wore a vintage fur capelet over her bride's maid dress instead of an overcoat--beautiful! The classics never go out of style. Annie

1. msewing1 | | #9

Wow....I bet her outfit DID look wonderful! The "new look" dress you described sounded beautiful!! Thanks!

Msewing1

2. rodezzy | | #11

This is so true.  I've seen so many items of clothing on the young people today that I wore (or would not wear) and wonder if they would laugh at their parents and grandparents photos now...after seeing themselves in the same clothes (giggle)

I never wore horizonal striped knit tops and thought I would throw up when they started showing up in stores and on young people again.  Now they want to wear circle skirts and platformed shoes.  I never like really wide legged pants either because they were hazardous in tripping you while trying to walk in them.  High waisted pants looked good on me in my youth.  Well, everything did when I was young. (giggle).  I had pretty good taste in clothes and put in much effort to look good.  I loved clothes, fabrics, yarns, notions..from jr. high through high school and beyond.  I also used to cruise vintage stores for clothes, especially 30's 40's and 50's looks.  Loved them.  Still do, just don't have the shape now.  So much fun.  (pine). 

1. Teaf5 | | #13

Didn't someone famous say, "If you are old enough to have worn the fashion the first time it was hot, you're too old to wear it when it comes back again?"

3. scrubble4 | | #7

Hi msewing1:  I did a quick look on the internet because your question made me realize I haven't looked at 2008 yet myself.

Here is a pathway for 2008 spring and yes bright colours are sure prominent.  http://www.elle.com/fashionshows/11662/spring-2008-ready-to-wear.html?path=G&WT.srch=1&gclid=CPG1j5eylJECFSAXiQodtDJTIg

For folks not comfortable with all over bright colour neck bindings and piping are great accents that give a taste of the colour.

This next pathway is hass short, commentary videos.  http://video.nymag.com/?fr_chl=57a5c73495b34c78d58a3d3bdf44cfb3954f6e38&rf=bm

The comment is made that picking the bits and pieces from different fashion decades and putting them together to make your own style is in now.  I particularly like the fluid fabrics.  Fabrics that move seem to the take the eye away from the body shape to the outer edges of the fabric. 

I think it is fun to be a voyeur in this crazy fashion industry by looking at the stills and videos.  I usually get an idea for a neckline or embellishment that I could adapt for me.  I do feel sorry for those very slim models.  I don't find clothes anywhere near as attractive on them as they are on real women but this continues to seem to be the fashion norm. 

Finally, a path for making all of this work for us individually. 

http://www.canadianliving.com/style/fashion/how_to_look_stylish_fashion_tips_and_style_ideas.php

Hope this is useful.  Scrubble4

1. msewing1 | | #8

Thanks so much! Yes....it was very useful!!! Thanks again! = )

Msewing1

2. Kips | | #16

great sites!! I especially liked the comment about the ponytail and needing to see a vet..... er stylist if it looks ratty LOLKip

4. fiberfan | | #14

Fall styles look promising according to this article.

Joanne

1. User avater
      CostumerVal | | #15

Great article.  I just recieved my first issue of Handwoven.  The fabric forcast for fall 08 is greens, and purples, mostly muted, w/ accent colors of course.   Prints are following architectural details w/ heavy emphasis on art deco.

The swing coat is coming back, and so are the high waisted pants, and wide waist bands.  I haven't seen anything that looks permanent with the wide legs.  Might be a last fling for this summer.  Narrow goes best with swing coats.  Pull out those early 80's pants.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights