Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Stitches Midwest 2009 Trip

rodezzy | Posted in Knitting and Crochet on

My craft group and I had a great time at the Stitches Midwest 2009 show.  It was great.  The fashion show featured the knitted miracles of Jane Slicer-Smith’s “Knit the Colors of Australia.”  The central pieces in the show and her new book were swing coats, swagger jackets, and drapes using mitered block design and solid block construction. 

It was awesome.  She was on stage pointing out her knitting construction and I was in awe of her detailed thinking in creating these garments. 

I’ve attached a picture of my stash, each one of the yarns in the picture came in packs of 10 skeins.  So I have 40 new skeins of yarn…..Yea! 

The square wooden needles were handmade by this guy named “Joe” who uses reclaimed wood to make his knitting needles.  Mine are “bloodwood from Africa.” 

I bought a pair of Addi #17 size turbo circular needles with the tube cable.  wow.  Then I purchased “The Gathered Look” by Maggiknits Irish MK Collection Book 15 and talked to her and she signed my copy.  YeeHaw!!! This is the third book of hers that I have.  Also there was a woman there who conducts classes of Maggiknits designs and I will be taking a class as soon as I can. 

We all bought stuff and had a great time all day long.

Rodezzy, Fiber Artist

Replies

1. MaryinColorado | | #1

WOW!  Nice haul, can't wait to see what you create!  I'm particularly fond of that varigated green yarn...it would look good on me, giggle!  Mary

1. rodezzy | | #2

Hi Mary: I've been busy today sewing on the 2010 Raffle Quilt for the guild.  I'm stiff now and going to stop.  I have three more rows and two more sections of sashing to put on.  I don't think I'll do it tonight.  I'm tired of sewing.  Been sewing all day. 

That is 100% lambs wool, hand dyed in Chile by Araucania Yarns.  There are 132 yds per skein and I got them for $69.00.  50% off the regular price.  I wished I had enough money to buy lots more, but oh well.  I'm happy with what I got.  Now I want to knit something. 

1. MaryinColorado | | #3

Your fingers are flying once again as you make your own magic!  I look forward to seeing the raffle quilt.  Cannot believe how much you have accomplished on it allready!  wow! 

I read your thread about the vest you want to knit out of the varigated green yarn too, sounds like you are really stretching and challenging yourself to learn new techniques and enjoying the process!

Happy stitchin and knitting!  Mary

1. rodezzy | | #4

Hi Mary, missing you! 

Actually there are approximately 12" blocks.  36 blocks in all.  I have been taking pictures and will post when I'm finished (hope to finish sewing tonight).  Thanks for your encouragements.  You know me, I get on a roll.  But I have so much I should be doing.  Should have been doing the armature doll on Sunday.  But I forgot I committed to picking up the project from the my co-committee members for the 2010 raffle quilt.  And now, I'm all hyped about knitting.  Goofy me.  I'm always all over the place with my crafts.  giggle.  And thursday night is a craft group meeting.  Whew, I must have a project in the works for them too.  We don't have business meetings actually, we are a "get together and craft" group. 

1. katina | | #5

Hey Rodezzy and all the other knitters out there - this is a great site

http://www.littleknits.com/

Katina

2. rodezzy | | #6

Just took a quick peek.....yes it is.  I believe they were at the convention.  Thanks.

3. MaryinColorado | | #7

The "get together and craft" group sounds very interesting, bet you all have great fun sharing ideas!  You are such a prolific fiber artist and such a busy and gifted lady! 

4. rodezzy | | #8

Honey 'child, I don't have nothing on some of these ladies.  Tracey is making something 24/7 and Ernestine is a sewing teacher and sewing maniac.  I love em.  Ernestine is also learning to knit and has knit a cabled scarf already.  She bought lots of yarn and yarn essential gadgits yesterday.  he he She's awesome!

2. User avater
    ThreadKoe | | #9

Oh Goodness, what a great haul! I do not think I would have been able to restrain myself to just that much, tee hee hee. I am positively thankful we do not have so many of those type of shows locally, tee hee hee. Cathy

1. rodezzy | | #10

It wasn't an issue of constraining myself, I just didn't have the money.  No money....No buyee!  It was agonizing to have to make decisions between so much fabulous stuff.  But, hey.....I got cards from the shops I loved, and will be ordering online as soon as money allows.....he he.

1. User avater
        ThreadKoe | | #11

Budget always makes the restraint easier, but decisions harder, lol! I still always manage to come home with an awful lot more than what I intend to buy. Sale prices, and show only specials are the worst! DH just rolls his eyes as the packages come in the door, he he he. Did you see something special that you DID NOT BUY, but was really interesting??? Tell all for us that are stuck at home by the phone, pleeeeese? he he he Cathy

1. rodezzy | | #12

Yes, there were novelty yarns to DIE for.  One was a about a yard of what looked like a strand with small chains dangling from it.  They were the small dot like chain links.  Like the small key chain links.  $24 per skein.  You would use it as trim.  Beautiful.  There were the new full sized assortment of square circular needles, I don't remember who made them.  They were beautiful.  Of course TONS AND TONS of beautiful, beautiful, yummy yarns everywhere you turned.  There was booth that was selling bulk sized hanks of rayons, merino wool, and merino wool blends at 50% off the label price.  1200 to 1500 yd hanks.  They didn't seam to have any cashmere this time.  I've purchased from them before, and again I believe it was Yarn Bazaar.  I have an awful habit of tunnel vision.  I just saw the yarn and drooled.  Didn't bother to see who the booth occupants were.  Sorry.  I suck at getting info.

There were booths with the actual authors of books and their yarn lines there.  I met Maggie Jackson of MaggiKnits and she signed her book for me.  I'm going to start an envelope and start saving now for next year.  I want $1,000 to spend next year.  By then, Katina will have me knitting up a storm, and I'll need all of the stuff to knit with....right?!

There were people in felting demos, handmade weaving looms, I really wanted the "Bumps" yarn at the BagSmith booth, but too much.  They also had hugh knitting and crochet hooks.  Very pricy.  It was Big Stitch Alpaca Yarn.  It was beautiful.  But the shawls made with this hugh yarn would be like wearing a rug.  They had two on display.

There was fine cotton threads in one booth that was like candy on the shelves, and I also noticed one booth "Knitter's Magazine/XRX Books" I believe that had all the books you could want on every needle art available, and lots of DVD's on knitting techniques, crochet techniques, weaving, and all sorts of needle art techniques.  That was different.  DVD's are starting to become very popular.  I know I love seeing it actually being done. I have several knitting DVD's and doll making DVD's. 

Well, you get the idea, this is getting too long.

1. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #13

DROOLING, I am absoluutely DROOLING! tee hee heeSo I was a bad girl. I bought wool. I had to keep my hands busy. Either that or drive my daughter nuts. Had to do something while waiting for Baby Kara to arrive...
            And she did, at 4:48pm September 16th. 8lbs 3oz, of beautiful baby girl, with the most lovely shade of brown hair and olive skin. Oma Cathy is absolutely in love, tee hee hee. I just got home, and am totally exhausted and exhilarated. I bought fuschia ribbon, and white eyelash to make a stroller blanket, and am knitting it on the bias, it is totally luscious and soft. Am already about quarter ways done, tee hee hee. Thank goodness for big needles. I am going to be busy sewing for that precious bundle a lot I think. She was only 20 inches long, despite being 8 lbs. Hard to fit into the store bought outfits. They are all way too long for her. Oma is going to have a riot sewing outfits. I wish I was closer to go with you to one of those shows. Maybe next year. Cathy

2. rodezzy | | #14

Oh I am so glad to hear from you, and so very happy the baby is here safe and beautiful.  Oh what a thrill you will have sewing for a baby girl.  And as she grows up, does her mother sew?  Are you all coordinating her little outfits for every occassion, have you already dressed the little princess for her first dance?  giggle.  oooooooooooo so wonderful.

You bought wool? Where, or did you just bring it from home with you.  At first I thought you were refering to the Stitches venue and were there.  I was tripping that you would be so close and I wouldn't get to see you.  And then you explained, so any who, I'm happy for you and yours.

3. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #18

I actually bought it at a WalMart that still has a fabric department! Wonders of all wonders. They had the bulk pacs of yarn, one was a ribbon, one an eyelash, and the other was a eyelet ribbon. The eyelet ribbon did't work with the others, but I will have a use for it. Had to buy needles as well, but can you ever have too many of those?
            If I ever get close to you, be sure you will know!!!!!
            No Mommy does not sew. Three girls, all crafty, but not one sews YET. So Oma is going to have to do all that, YIPEEE! Cathy

4. katina | | #15

Congratulations! Wonderful, happy news.

All the very best to you and your family.

Katina

5. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #19

Thanks, I just cannot stop smiling :) Cathy

6. MaryinColorado | | #25

OMA Cathy!  Giggle, I just cannot say it enough and I know you cannot hear it enough.  I am so very happy for you and your whole family to be blessed with your precious bundle of joy.  Your first grandchild! 

7. Stillsewing | | #16

Many congratulations to you but also to the proud parents not forgetting the other grand parents. You will now a heavily laden agenda to keep up with all your plans to make Kara the best dressed girl on the block!

8. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #20

He he he, I think there are a couple of grandmom's here who I would be hard put to keep up with! Now I really have to get saving up for an embroidery machine, tee hee hee Cathy

9. Cityoflostsouls | | #17

Lucky you!  What is the name of your new little princess?

10. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #21

They named her Kara. I will not put her full name up to protect her. But she is a blessing in our lives, and so beautiful. Of course Oma Cathy is prejudiced, tee hee hee. Mind you, I think all babies are beautiful, but this one is special in so many ways. A real gift. Cathy

11. Cityoflostsouls | | #22

Kara is a lovely name and I understand about being careful.  We have 3 other adopted children (siblings) and we only changed 2 middle names so we had to be careful so  they couldn't be easily identified by names and circumstances.  I would never go along with these "open adoptions"  Either they are your children or they aren't.  They are in theur forties now and have never wanted to look up their birth parents.  Happy sewing for that beautiful little girl,

12. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #23

You have to be so careful these days. I won't normally post pics of kids, but will post a pic of her crib shortly. Cathy

13. MaryinColorado | | #24

Oooooooooo, my imagination is soaring, just thinking of all that eyecandy!  I wonder if there is a book in your future?  You have such great writing skills, I can always visualize your written word. 

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights