Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Tension Problems Singer 1732 Esteem

Pixistix | Posted in General Discussion on

I have a Singer 1732 Esteem that my husband gave me this christmas. I am in the middle of my first BIG project and now the bobbin thread keeps comming up to the top of my fabric. I have tried to adjust the top tension but that only makes the top thread taunt or not with the bottom thread still comming up to the top. I have also tried to tighten and loosen the bobbin case screw that holds tension on the thread but that only makes the bobbin thread loose or taunt still on the top. Please help.

Replies

1. bonkers | | #1

Pixistix, Go back to the dealer that the machine came from. My experience with tension problems is that the dealer can solve them quickly. Often we make them worse by fiddling around with it. The dealer should work on a machine as new as this without charging very much. Good luck with yor future sewing.

2. Pattiann42 | | #2

Before going to the dealer, put the tensions back to the factory settings.

Remove the top thread.

Lift the presser foot and re-thread the machine.

Check the bobbin to be sure the thread is feeding in the correct direction and through the proper guides.

3. Teaf5 | | #3

Also check the needle size and correct insertion (usually flat side to the back).  If it's inserted backwards or not the correct size for the fabric you are sewing, it can horribly mess up both the top and bobbin thread tensions.

I agree that you should re-set the tensions to the factory settings if you can.  Unless you are using an unusual thread (stretch, woolly, etc.) in the bobbin, you usually don't need to adjust that tension.  When you do need to, a tiny adjustment to the bobbin tension makes a huge difference.  Most of the time, you leave the bobbin tension alone and adjust the top thread tension to achieve a balanced stitch.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights