Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Tissue paper? from New member

ClaraLou | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on


I just discovered this site/magazine.  I started adjusting my patterns then trying to design my own dresses.  Especially when I was pregnant, since I wasn’t very happy with what I was able to find available.  I recently bought a Uniquely You dress form and am now in the process of fitting the cover.  (When the baby gives me a chance)

O.K. That is a little introduction. 

Now for information I am searching for.  Does anyone know where I can find large tissue paper.  I’ve been taping the tissue paper used for gift bags, but the tape causes wrinkling.  In the March issue one of the suggestions was a table with the rolls of tissue underneath.  Cool.  But I have no idea where to look for either a roll or package of large pieces.

I would appreciate any advice.



  1. starzoe | | #1

    Tissue paper is really not suitable for making patterns. What you need is either a roll of paper that doctors use on their tables, or something really cheap and available almost everywhere, a remnant roll of newspaper. That is, the leftovers of newsprint (unprinted, of course). A roll that will cost you from $2 to $4 will last for years, and is a great thing to have on hand when the baby wants to paint or crayon later on. When my boys were small I had a roll installed on a basement wall for them to crayon on.

    I have also used wax paper for patterns but it is not very good for the job, markers smudge and you still have to tape lengths together. The newsprint is great when you are altering or trying out your designs, but for a permanent pattern you need something sturdier like pellon.

    Edited 2/24/2008 7:46 pm ET by starzoe

  2. kalypsew | | #2

    I agree with starzoe about the examination table paper. I cannot find single rolls for sale...and a case costs about $45 for 12 rolls. I found something very similar at clotilde, if that helps.

  3. Cherrypops | | #3

    Hi, This question was posted recently. click this 7884.3 you should be re-directed to that discussion. the member posted a website.  there are other ideas there also.

  4. Palady | | #4

    For pattern making, or copying from multi sized patterns,  Pellon's Tru Grid is a consideration.  The accuracy of the 1" graph is a huge help.  MO.  The product is quite sturdy and is less bulky when folded to place into a pattern envelope or self seal bag.  Newsprint or exam table paper can be a bit more difficult to accomplish this.


    This more than I ususally pay for the product.  JoAnn's carries it and it goes on sale periodically.  At which time I purchase a full bolt if my stash is dwindling.  Look for it with interfacing and fusibles.  Realize however, it is unsuitable to use as an interfacing.

    There is another similar product, having red dots aligned in 1" rows.  Unsure if Pellon makes it or if it is from another company.  The only store I ever found it for sale was in the Randolph, MA Fabric Place.  Which by-the-by has sadly closed.  What supply bought for my daughter has long ago been used up.

    I realize there are FP stores in Framingham, Newton, & Woburn MA.  These require far more traveling from my daughter's residence in Westwood, MA.


  5. User avater
    floristic | | #5

    I have used in the past roll of light weight white gift wrap paper or its a type of paper that is similar to interfacing and comes in colors that is used for wrapping or florist use to wrap plants. I have used both and they seem to work. I do know that the paper similar to interfacing comes on a roll and is possibly available at a florist or the craft store that cares plant wrapping paper.

  6. ClaraLou | | #7

    I appreciate all the suggestions.  I actually have the newsprint and enjoy using it for other stuff, but as mentioned it is bulky.  I have some fabric/interfacing like stuff with a grid, maybe that is the Pellon you mentioned.  I liked it until I ironed it for a later project and it distorted from the iron.  Was it maybe too hot?  I haven't wanted to use it since. 

    Thanks for the links.  I was looking at the Swedish Tracing Paper, but don't want to pay $1 a yard plus shipping.  I buy cheep fabric to test patterns with, but may as well use the fabric instead of their tracing paper.

    From what has been posted, it seems that everyone has had to find their own favorite substitute.  I know that large pieces of tissue exist; commercial patterns are printed on them, but the industry hasn't recognized the potential customers sewing at home. 

    The search continues......


    1. Crazy K | | #8

      As I mentioned in another post, I use multi sized patterns from Kwik Sew a lot for my kids projects.  I have grandkids that range from infant to adult sizes so these patterns have gotten lots of use over the years.  Some years ago I found that a fabric outlet near me has rolls of a very inexpensive (read: cheap) interfacing type material that they sell for pattern-making.  It runs about 79 cents per yard and I buy when it's on sale or I have a coupon and I buy the whole roll............which usually runs 60-75 yards.  My DH used closet rod hooks and a wooden rod and I have hung my 'paper' above my cutting table (with a shelf over the top) which also serves as my pattern tracing table.  It may sounds cumbersome but it works for me...........and has for quite a few years.  When I need to make a new size pattern, I just pull down the paper and start tracing.  Voila!  new pattern......quick and easy.

      Hope this is helpful.


    2. solosmocker | | #9

      I have traced scads of patterns for my grandchildren. I like to use Pattern Ease. It is readily available, as in Joanns, is inexpensive, and comes 60 inches wide. I buy it with a coupon at 50% off when I can. Childrens patterns have many sizes and I tend to trace off the size I need. But I know many who have access to a Joanns or Hancocks and buy all the sizes when they are 99 cents of their favorite patterns. solo

      1. Crazy K | | #10

        Hi Solo,  What I use must be similar........just doesn't have the name.  It, too, is about 60" wide.  A roll lasts me a very long time unless I am into making lots of adults sized patterns.  It looks and feels like a very lightweight sew-in interfacing/stabilizer.  It's light enough to see through and folds up nicely to fit in the manila envelopes that I use.


  7. cookymom | | #11

    Hi Clara,

    My favorite paper for making patterns is a roll of the tracing paper that architects use.  I buy it in the 36 in wide size.  Easy to use, takes permanent marker or pencil, a bit more durable than newsprint.  Also easy to see through. Try a store that sells drafting supplies or Dick Blick on the web.

  8. MaryinColorado | | #12

    Hi and welcome to the forum!  There's something new to learn here all the time.  I hope you enjoy being part of our family of seamsters.  Lots of variety and a bit of chit chat. 

    Medical supply stores sell exam table paper.  (Like at the doc's office).  It's stiffer than tissue paper though. 

    I like to use inexpensive interfacing sometimes too.  Hope you will post some photos of your designs!  Congrats on your new baby and enjoy the wonder of your precious little one!  Mary

  9. ComstockKitty | | #13

    Hello ClaraLou,

    I purchased a huge roll of butcher block paper. It cost $45, and is wide- about 4'. It is going to last me forever.  Any local box supplier will have it.


This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All