Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

V 7790 – will it work for a body shaper?

nmog | Posted in Patterns on

I have made a few bias cut dresses that actually worked out (that you everyone for your help!), and I’ve realize that they emphasize the lovely back fat just under my bra. I was going to make a body shaper slip, and I have some fabric that is similar to powernet. I don’t have a cheaper fabric to make a muslin of, so I’m wondering if I should just tissue fit it really tight.
I’ve made swimsuits before but the patterns were designed for stretch fabric obviously. Time fro trial and error, I think!

Nicole

Replies

1. solosmocker | | #1

I don't really have an answer for you other than bias has a way of clinging right where you don't want it to! Your idea sounds great, however and I am looking forward to reading how you make out with this project.

2. Gloriasews | | #2

It might work if you used a more fitted slip pattern.  This is a lovely pattern you have chosen, but I think you would have to run the elastic all around the bodice, under the bust.  I think it might be less frustrating just to get a long-line bra or an inexpensive body shaper - it all depends upon the size of your bust.  Another idea would be to sew the latex or elastic to the bottom of a well-fitting bra & add hook closures wherever your closures are.  You may have to add stays to this to keep the bottom from rolling up when you bend over or sit down.

1. nmog | | #3

Yes, I think that I will need to experiment! My bras run anywhere from a 34DDD-G depending on the brand, and I can't find a bodyshaper in those sizes. It's crazy, because I perhaps look like a C-D cup. If I was a 36 band size I would have more options.So far this pattern is the only relatively fitted slip pattern I've found. I don't think that slips are worn as often now so I'm sure that affects the pattern companies' decisions.I was also thinking of using a swimsuit pattern and redrawing the bottom portion. I'll check my Kwiksew stash!Thank you for your help!
      Nicole

1. Ralphetta | | #4

I don't know if this would help you but here's what I've done.  I wanted to recreate a one piece garment like Olga used to make and couldn't find any more.  It was like a long-line well-fitting bra with lycra around the middle and an attached slip at the waist. I don't like one-piece body suits. I was in a hurry and searched the sale one-piece body suits until I found one that fit me in the bra area.  I cut it off at the waist and attached a slip bottom.  I prefer a separate girdle-like garment on the lower half. This does usually leave a dent at waist, which a one-piece garment doesn't, so it may not work for you.

1. Gloriasews | | #5

That's a great idea, Ralphetta!  Did you not have trouble keeping it from rolling up when you bent over or sat, or did the girdle keep in in place by defining the waist?  I have found that the body shapers certainly do not define the waist, as does a panty girdle - maybe the really expensive ones do define the waist, but they are so engineered that they look like they may be uncomfortable & really feel constrained.  Then, of course, there would be the fluffy overflow at the top . . .

1. Ralphetta | | #6

I cut it long-waisted because it did have a tendency to pull up. I put it on, unsnapped in the crotch and then marked where my waist was and made the seam a little below that because I didn't want it to show above my waist.  The original garments made by Olga didn't pull up at the waist but I don't think they were made of as strong lycra.  I was preoccupied with finding a really good fitting bra and didn't have a lot of time.  Next time I would look for one of a less-powerful Lycra. 

Those body suits never fit me because I am long-waisted and besides, going to the bathroom is a major production.  2 pieces make it easier to fit and solve both problems.  (Long-line bras are too short waisted, also.)

Good bodysuits are expensive, but since you only have to find one that fits you in the bust when it isn't snapped in the crotch, you can take advantage of the bargain table.  See if you can find a cheap one and experiment.

2. Gloriasews | | #7

I'll have to try that - you are so full of good ideas!  Your logic about cutting off the one-piecer is right on.  Because I am shortwaisted, the bones from the long-line bra dig into my hip bones, so this may well be the answer.  Besides, I like the elastic at the waist of panty girdles, as it defines the waistline, whereas the body briefer doesn't.  As well, they are more comfortable & provide better support.  Yah, I can relate to the inconvenience & discomfort of the hooks at the crotch of body briefers.  I must be built with a longer trunk, because, even though I am shortwaisted, the body briefer always pulls lengthwise, pulling the bust down, instead of keeping it in place where it belongs.

3. Ralphetta | | #8

Yes!  Those things pull my bust down around my ribs and pull up from the bottom giving me a wedgie! 

4. Gloriasews | | #9

Exactly - does the same to me!  We probably have the same length torso, but different variations, eh?

What fabric do you make your slip out of?  I have had a lot of trouble with synthetics (very static-y & clingy, especially with pantihose) and worse, when they are cut on the bias (I have a beautiful slip cut this way), it keeps twisting around when I walk (uncomfortable & a real annoyance).  Guess I'll have to make some light cotton ones, like we wore in the 50s & 60s (camisole tops & wider eyelet straps - do you remember those)?  They were so nice & cool in the summer & were great under those horrible really-sheer blouses that were the fashion, but which I wouldn't be found dead in now (too revealing) & even cringe to think about them (I think I had 2 of them at the time).  Remember when sleeveless blouses first came out, too?  They were so risque at the time!

5. Ralphetta | | #10

Static-Guard solves the problem for me. 

6. Gloriasews | | #11

I've tried it, but it doesn't last for hours, so I've had to carry the can with me when I'm at a social function.  I also carry a sheet of Bounce & rub it on my slip & pantihose, & that helps somewhat - it's easier to carry in my purse than the Static-Gard, but still has to be applied every so often.  In a pinch, I'll even wet my hands & run them over my legs & slip - that helps, but not for long, either.  Think I'll attach a cotton slip to my cut body shaper.  (I did find an inexpensive one).

7. Ralphetta | | #12

Maybe it's the climate you live in?  Or maybe it's just your electric personality!

8. Gloriasews | | #13

Hah! to my electric personality.  Yah, our air is very dry, even in the winter when it's quite cold (Alberta) & windy a lot of the time (have to use lots of lotion all over).  That's why, in the wrap dress thread, my skirt kept blowing open & I eventually had to sew it down as it was so irritating.  I am so acclimatized to this that I can't stand heat & humidity in the summer if I'm ever in a place where that is.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights