I got the bad news today that my thirty year old Singer needs several hundred dollars worth of repairs, so I’m thinking of biting the bullet and buying a new machine. I took a look at a Viking 955E this afternoon. It’s an embroidery machine that uses a card and it’s being offered at what seems to be a good price —— $1299. I checked Pattern Review but could not find any reviews for this machine. My questions are:
1. Is anyone familiar with this machine?
2. Is this a good price for this machine? The price includes a reader/writer kit, a couple of sample embroidery cards plus a blank embroidery card, two embroidery hoops (one of which is pretty large), and a cover.
3. What, if any, limitations besides having to save designs to a card are there with this machine in terms of the embroidery functions? Is this machine a good choice for a total novice at machine embroidery?
4. How is this machine for regular garment sewing?
5. How well does the automatic tension function work? Does it work well on light weight fabrics? Is there any way to over-ride it?
Besides these questions, I would very much appreciate hearing any other comments on this machine.