Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Viking Daisy 315 or Huskystar 207

gnatlee | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

Hi everyone,
I am brand new to the sewing scene and would like to get a sewing machine for general purpose mending and heming.  I’ve only been able to look at a few brother, singer/kenmore/janome, and viking daisy 315 and huskystar 215 or 207.  I’m trying to limit myself to below $200.  I’ve found that in this price range, most machines are very flimsy and just doesn’t seem too durable. I am in a way attracted to viking because of reputation and the fact that it’s the only machines that i’ve been shown a demonstration on.  the viking 315 is around $350 at the local sewing machine store, and the huskystar 207 is around $199.  they’re the only ones that seem more durable.  and i have to admit that sadly, i’m superficial to judging machines by the way they look.  the viking and huskystar look the best.  although, they only have 5 or 6 basic stitch functions.  any advice from owners of these machines would be greatly appreciated.  also i’ve heard from another dealer that viking machines have a lot of problems with gears since they’re plastic.  any opinion on this?
thanks for your time.

UPDATE:
Thanks for answering my questions. I went to the local dealer yesterday and got the huskystar 219. I was going to get the huskystar 215 at first, but saw that it was made in thailand…got worried that it wasn’t made by janome (taiwanese company). Surprising the 219 was made in taiwan. go figure. anyhow, i did get the 219. when i was at the dealer i got to sew thru 16 layers of a semi thick fabric on the huskystars and it did so with no problems. However, the vikings were more smooth and quiet. but they were going for a hundred dollars more.

Edited 1/30/2003 9:27:45 PM ET by gnatboy

Replies

1. sewred | | #1

The BIG difference between the Huskystar 207 or 215 and the Viking Daisy 315 is the Daisy is manufactured in Sweden at the Viking factory and the Huskystars are made for Viking by another machine co. The Viking will handle your fabric extremes (very fine and sheer to heavier denims and twills).  Viking has it's reputation  for good reason. It will outlast and can out sew almost any machine out there. As for the "plastic" gears they are made of space-age polomers which allows for precision and durability. The old plastic gears were of the same quality as toys and they would crack and wear rapidly. Hope this addresses some of your concerns. It is absolutely great that you are sewing!! Don't let anything or anyone give you a stumble along the way. The best sewists and instructors I know ALL make mistakes and learn more.Check out the trade-up program at your local dealer also. You may be ready for more machine in no time.

2. joress | | #2

My understanding is that the Huskystar machines are made by Janome--a terrific name in manufacturing machines. So, either should serve you well. However, the weight of the machine may make a difference--you'll want it to stay put when you have large projects such as quilts or draperies. If either has a one-step button hole, you'll really appreciate that feature. Buttonholes are a basic need when sewing garments.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights