Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Viking Designer1/Bernina 200e/Pfaff 2140

swedishmoose | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

HELP! I’m going nuts. I need opinions and pros/cons on the Viking Designer 1, Bernina 200e and Pfaff 2140. I want to purchase one of these machines but which one is the best??? All of them seem to be pretty close in comparison, I’m going crazy-it’s alot of money for any one of these and I want to make an informed purchase.

Replies

1. JulieP25 | | #1

Hi! I think that the best way to figure out which one you'd like is a test drive of all of these machines. They are all similar in features and being top of the line should sew beautifully. You've not said what kinds of sewing you do. If you're looking for the embroidery capabilities then maybe see the designs each machine has to offer as well, as well as check out the software available from them (if you plan on designing as well). I'm a Bernina nut. But I've learned that the test drive using my own samples and making a buttonhole on the machine pretty much gave me all of the info I needed to purchase a machine. I either liked using it or found something hard to use. Please remember that these are expensive machines with a lot of extras available and can be costly. It really depends on the kinds of sewing you do. Much luck with your quest. julep25

2. dregan | | #2

I would just love to have a machine with all the capabilities of the machines you mention, but am very curious, what kind of price range are the machines you are talking about-just approximately on the average!  I only have a New Home HF 2022 and no frills really, but was just getting back into sewing after about 28 yrs!  NOW, I would certainly like more, but also wonder if getting a serger first would be the best route.  , or do some of these machines have serging capabilities, also? That is probably a very dumb question.  I would appreciate the price range info, and good luck on your next purchase.

Deb

1. JulieP25 | | #3

Hi Deb!

These machines range in price where I live from $6,000 to $8,000, for the TOL machine and anything else is extra as in dollars.  I too would love a TOL with all of the fancy stuff but I can't justify the cost. What I priced out would cost me close to $10,000.00 dollars. I can't afford that kind of money, on top of what I spend on fabric, patterns etc. My sewing is a hobby and a sanity break for me. I already have 2 jobs to support the farm. If I win a lottery then maybe I could. Jules

1. dregan | | #4

WOW!  Totally amazing!  Way out of my league.  I'll sit with what I have -maybe forever, and look into a reasonable serger.  What can a 5 serger machine that a 4 thread can't? I would just like a machine that could make a lot of decorative stitches, or at least quite a few, and a needle that moves positions, and, and, and, ha!  I need to do more sewing and less time on this computer.

Thanks,

Deb

1. Jean | | #5

First guess would be a cover stitch and a chain stitch.

2. JulieP25 | | #6

Hi Deb!

I hope I didn't scare you from the TOL machines, they are wonderful. The 5 thread sergers as stated do a coverstitch. I also would love one of these too. Of course these are a little expensive. I purchased a midranged computerized sewing machine 3yrs ago. I have the ability to change out some of the stitches from a program on my home computer. I don't regret this decision. Maybe a model with 100 or so stitches would be more in your price range too. I really like the computerized features and being able to play with the stitches is a whole lot of fun. I have a mirror image and stitch length and desity functions. I also use the builtin alphabets to make labels for size in garments. Accuracy is fantastic and the automatic buttonholes were the selling features for me. My husband was sold on the automatic mending stitches. The TOL machine is my dream for someday maybe. In the mean time I still can play and enjoy my machine. I still say shop and look see if you can find something in your range. I enjoy sewing more now than I did before with my straight stitch and zigzag only machine, tension never worked right, have to fight with it for an hour or so before starting anything( sorry I have issues with my old machine).  Let us know what you decide. Jules

1. dregan | | #7

Sorry to be so stupid, but what do you mean by the TOL machines.

2. Jean | | #8

Top Of the Line?

3. dregan | | #9

Thanks!  I made myself laugh by asking that question!  You know, this is off the subject, but when I started working in OB, learning all the abbreviations was unreal and took awhile to get use to after working in other departments so many yrs. I guess it's the same with sewing- or maybe it's just that some people are quicker than others?!  "Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for I will always be amused!"

Deb

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights