Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Viking Emerald 116

Oogilily | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I have tried sewingpatterns.com for reviews, also tried the advanced search here, and finally tried just Google and I can’t seem to find anybody that has reviewed this machine.  Anybody out there have the Viking emerald 116?  Just curious, thinking about buying it for my wife, want to know if it is worth it.

Thanks!

Replies

1. MaryinColorado | | #1

Hello and bless you for being a great hubby!  My dh bought my first Husq/Viking machine years ago for Christmas.  I now own three of thier machines and love them!  My daughter in law just got her first new machine and it is a Huskystar Viking.  She is thrilled with it.  I don't know about the emerald and hope someone answers for you.  Just thought you would like to know that my family is very pleased with the brand.  These dealers usually offer free upgrades to your machine and free know your machine classes.  There should be some pretty good sales this time of year.  I think it is very important to go through a good reliable authorized dealer who will be friendly and supportive. 

Happy Thanksgiving!

2. smmrsew | | #2

I am new to sewing and the Emerald 116 was my first machine (My father just upgraded my machine for an early Christmas present). The machine was fine for my first two projects a shirt and a skirt. I wanted to upgrade to the Emerald 118 for the needle up/down and the Adjustable Presser Foot Pressure features but my sewing instructor told me to just save up until I could shop in the $700-$1000 range. There are a lot of features on the new machine(Viking Platinum Royal 735 - cost $799) that would make sewing easier since I plan to sew a lot. I just got my machine yesterday so I haven't used it yet, but there is a review on pattern review for that machine. According to the reviews on pattern review, I wish I bought the Platinum 775 now, but Viking gives you the option to upgrade within a year. I will see if I will even want to upgrade. Good luck shopping

1. NovaSkills | | #3

Your teacher is right. Save your dough and upgrade next year. The dealer will take your trade-in.

I teach at a dealer and can tell you that the auto neddle stop is a very valuable feature that allows you to more easily handle curves and easing in garments and craft sewing. The Platinum series is the next place to shoot within the Viking line. Buy the medium model of the set, if you have the $$. Consider buying the floor model.

I own a No. 1 and a Designer 1 Viking, and love both. I sew on every material known to mankind, from neoprene to nylon mesh, and those Vikings just plow right on.

Another thing I like about the Viking lines are their choice of preset stitches, which seem to include more of the things I want at one touch. I am always frustrated at the dealer when someone has a high end computerized machine that won't give you a satin stitch without picking first a zig-zag, then opening a new window to adjust the stitch length and width down, and it still isn't the right tension. With the Vikings, you just hit one button for a great typical width satin stitch, or a second touch to bump the stitch width.

1. smmrsew | | #4

Thanks! My dad actually upgraded me for Christmas to a Platinum 735. I'm still very new to sewing so I think this machine should last me a while. Now my biggest hurdle is finding time to sew, but I will. I am enjoying it way too much.

1. NovaSkills | | #5

Oh, you're gonna love it! Your dad is a great guy. That machine will take you far and you will enjoy the journey.

There is a Viking sewing magazine called Zig-Zag that comes out every month or maybe every two months, and the ideas in it are a spectrum of complex to beginner. The instructions are keyed to Viking stitches, etc, and projects are crafts, gifts, clothes, home dec, etc. For about 6 or 7 bucks, it's alot of good info, and free patterns for what's inside. Check your dealer.

One specialty foot for your machine that you may want to get is the edge-stitching foot, helpful for newer sewers who are still mastering seam allowance control. The foot has a little fence on the right side, so that you just guide the material up against it after picking the needle position that will give you the seam allowance you want--and you'll get reliable results.

The array of specialty feet cover nearly every type of sewing, but some see more machine time than others, in my sewing room. Take classes at the dealer and experiment, plus there's a "Sew with your feet" book by Viking that explains all of them and what their benefits are.

The best advice I can offer is, never be afraid of your machine. Computerized models simply won't accept a command they shouldn't do, and you rarely do worse than breaking a needle or forming a "thread snot" on the underside if you goof up. De-lint your bobbin area often, change the needle every several projects, and don't fight the feed dogs for control of your fabric! Enjoy! 

1. smmrsew | | #6

What do you think about the about the 755Q for a non-quilter? I didnt realize the 735 didn't have the needle up/down feature.

2. NovaSkills | | #7

A machine labeled "quilter's" just means that its preset stitch menus have been designed with the quilter in mind. In my experience, even garment sewers make more use of the quilting menu stitches than they do of the preset stitches that are just decorations, like little teddy bears, flowers or whatever. Go for it!

3. smmrsew | | #8

Well, I missed the sale so the 755 is out of my price range also. I still think I have a pretty good machine. Thanks!

3. Betakin | | #9

I recently purchased a discontinued Viking Interlude 445 from my local dealer. This machine and the model under it, the Interlude 435 is still offered at on line dealers at lower prices and I believe it is considered similar to the Platinum 715.  The 445 has the sewing advisor and more stitches than the 435 which does not have the sewing advisor. The 445 also has the buttonhole for leather and comes with several nice feet and the Teflon foot for leather and vinyl where the 435 does not come with the Teflon foot. On line dealers sell machines that are Factory serviced (FS) or new in box. Of course the FS machines will be priced less.

As for the needle up/down feature..I have that feature on one of my machines where you just touch a button for the needle to go into the fabric or up. It is a great feature to have on a machine but I believe most of the computerized Vikings have this feature by just touching the pedal and the needle goes down. I really like this on my Interlude more than my other brand machine with the needle up/down button because it keeps my hands free.

1. stitchsister | | #10

Count me in as as happy Viking owner. I just bought the Scandinavia 200, I got it for $500 as a trade in ($100 off) and it has all the features I wanted. It does have the needle up/down, the knot at the beginning of the seam, and 25 stitches. If I can afford to upgrade in a year I'll be thrilled, but if not, this machine will do me just fine.

1. Betakin | | #11

Congrats on your new Scandinavia. Have fun with your holiday sewing.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights