Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Vogue 8107

MerryGoose | Posted in General Discussion on

I was reading Threads latest issue and the article on eliminating facings says pattern Vogue 8107 was used…but that is a dress…any ideas about making a top like that…does it have a zipper or what?

Replies

1. barbsewandsew | | #1

mmm....very  good question...I was just looking at that article today and didn't think about the pattern number ...but in my searching I wonder if the top is adapted from McCall 8107 which does have a zipper??? Barbara http://www.mccallpattern.com/cat/40000/itm_img/M8107.jpg

1. MerryGoose | | #2

Thanks sew much...I will check that out!

2. AndreaSews | | #3

Do you mean ideas on how to make a top without facings, or how to make a top in the style of that Vogue dress?  The fitted bodice of that dress looks like it could be adapted into a fitted blouse, but would do better with a side zipper.  The dress' zipper is long, going below the natural waist in order to open it up wide enough to get into it.  A side zipper on a shorter piece could help you achieve the same. 

1. MerryGoose | | #4

Actually I would like answer to both of your questions...  :  ) 

i have never done a side zipper...anything special I should know...how long should it be?

1. AndreaSews | | #5

About the facings--which aticle are you reading?  I looked but didn't find one about that dress or about eliminating facings...   Sometimes you can use a bias binding instead of a facing.  The zipper--I haven't done a side zipper myself, but examining ready-to-wear garments in my closet:  An 8-9 inch invisible zipper placed on the left side seam will do the trick.  You install it "upside down;" The top stop and zipper tab will hang down by your waist, and the other end will be near your arm pit, about and inch or two from the armscye, depending on whether you're short-waisted like I am!  This technique would really be better in a lined garment, but then, a fitted top like this would look better lined anyway.  Could use a linen and line with batiste, and it would still be comfy in summer. 

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights