Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

VOGUE 8150

kayrosie | Posted in Patterns on

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF ANYBODY HAS MADE VOGUE PATTERN 8150.  I HAVE TO MAKE A BRIDESMAID DRESS OUT OF CREPE BACK SATTIN AND THE GIRL HAS PICKED THIS PATTERN.  SEVERAL PEOPLE HAVE TOLD ME IT LOOKS HARD AND THINKS IT WILLNOT HANG RIGHT WITH THE MATRIAL WE ARE USING.  I WAS JUST THINKING MAYBE SOMEBODY AHS MADE IT AND HAS SOME IDEAS.

Replies

1. Josefly | | #1

Haven't sewed this pattern, but looking at the fabric recommendations, it lists crepe-backed satin as the first fabric listed, so your fabric should be just right.

1. kayrosie | | #2

I AM SORRY I TOLD YOU THE WRONG KIND OF FABRIC I HAVE TO USE.  IT IS PEAU DE SOIE.  I GUESS THAT IS WHY THEY ARE TELLING ME IT WON'T HANG RIGHT AS THIS MATERIAL IS DIFFERENT THAN CREPE BACK SATIN.  SORRY FOR THE MISINFORMATION

1. mem | | #5

I would have thought that the soft drape of either would be ok

2. mygaley | | #3

LOL.  So are these your friends who are telling you it's hard and won't look right and the fabric is wrong and just generally discouraging you--forget them, honey, and come on into gatherings where we always say you can do it!  Peau de soie comes in different weights, some as soft as crepe back satin, some that will stand alone and hold you up also.

Some thoughts:  In the olden days peauds would mark, mark.  Pinholes would not come out, it would waterspot and so wrinkles could not be steamed out, etc., etc.  Now, with modern fabrics, that doesn't happen.  This does not look like a hard pattern to me, especially if you're using one of the softer fabrics.  Is the bodice overlay going to be self-fabric or some semi-sheer?  I have sewn some similar bodices and they do not flatter women with large busts and/or thick trunks no matter how much you enlarge them.  Using a thick, stiff fabric would only exacerbate this problem.  Also, I have found bodices on formal patterns to be cut very close indeed; I always make at least a bodice front muslin and leave 2" s/a to start, especially in front waist length.

On the very plus side using this elegant fabric will give you a stunning drape to the skirt and also the rest of the skirt.  I for one am getting tired of seeing bridesmaids in fabrics so flimsy that even with lining they do not conceal their underwear.  God bless you as you sew on this project.  Galey

1. kayrosie | | #4

thanks for the vote of confidence.  I bellieve the bridesemaid sister is going to look for a different pattern after I told her of my concerns.  The bodice was just going to be made out of the satin and the skirt also.  I am really afraid the weight of the fabric we have and thickness of it would not flow.  I wold like to see the pattern done though. I might make it for my daughter to teach school in.  She is not busty so maybe it will be alright for her.  Thanks for all your help though.

1. mimi | | #6

kayrosie:  I agree with mygaley, this is not really a difficult pattern to make.  The fabric (PDS) should drape very well.  Are you concerned with the draping on the bodice?  Make the top half of the dress in muslin to perfect your fitting skills and tweak any areas that sag or gap. Then use your muslin as your pattern pieces or transfer to brown paper.

The pattern looks like it would be a lot of fun!  Just imagine the look on all your friends faces when they see what you have accomplished :)

mimi

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights