Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

VOGUE8397: incorrect yardage…

rekha | Posted in Patterns on

I am getting increasingly frustrated with Vogue’s patterns.

This time it’s Marcy Tilton’s patten, the yardage suggested was 15/8 yards on a 60″ wide fabric. All pieces are meant to cover the lengthwise folded fabric. BUT, you require twice that because one of the pieces just doesn’t come near half the way across the fabric.

Any suggestions

Replies

1. starzoe | | #1

There are a number of posts in Pattern Review, and other sites about this pattern and none of them mentioned the incorrect yardage. Remeasure your fabric, maybe you were shortchanged at the store, either in width or length.

1. rekha | | #2

I went to patternreview to take a look at the comments.

Of the 6 reviews two were about the one I made as well (B). One of them had yards of material so she wouldn't have noticed a shortage; in any case the question asked is 'fabric used' so I expect they wouldn't be writing about yardage.

All bar one used size 10, hence the lack of complaint if any of fabric shortage

1. starzoe | | #3

Thanks for the info, it is good to know these things, with my build I would not make these pants, although I like the little details.

2. Josefly | | #4

Just looking at the pattern photo and sketches, I would've thought that 60 inch wide fabric would be adequate with the length equal to the length of the pants, in your case 1 5/8 yds. Do you mean that one of the pattern pieces is more than 30 inches wide?

1. rekha | | #5

No, the folded width is meant to accomodate all the 3 pieces + a small flap.

The middle component (that forms the sides of the pull ups) that sits towards the selvedge is wider than is available.

Edited 4/21/2008 5:31 pm ET by rekha

1. Josefly | | #6

How frustrating! I've not had much luck in contacting pattern companies myself, to find out about possible errors, so I haven't any solution for you there.Sometimes fabric is mislabeled as 60" wide when it's only 57", though. But I'll bet you've already measured the width to double-check it. Hope you find an answer.

1. rekha | | #7

I've not had much luck in contacting pattern companies myself

I would like to qualify that; Vogue in particular seem too arrogant to reply.

Hope you find an answer

The solution for myself is to dry run the pattern before buying the fabric. As it happens I had a stash of 2yd cotton lycra I wanted to use for this pattern.

The alternative is not to use Vogue patterns when Burda and Kwik Sew (both European companies) are equally/better competent. 

1. Josefly | | #8

I know what you mean - I would be reluctant to use a pattern company again after having that experience. Others have had pattern errors with other companies, and it's very annoying, especially since we often buy fabric at the same time we buy a pattern, without taking the time to open the pattern up, measure the pieces, etc., in the store - and wouldn't the shopkeepers be outraged if we did that? And in your case you would've actually had to lay the pieces out on the fabric to find the problem - I can just see that happening in a store!However, I had a poor experience with a Burda pattern too - thankfully I made a couple of muslins before cutting my fabric - but it was a nuisance to delay while waiting to find out what the problem was, and then there was no acknowledgement that there was indeed a problem.I'm glad that at least you hadn't bought fabric especially for this pattern, according to the pattern specifications.

2. rekha | | #9

wouldn't the shopkeepers be outraged if we did that?

Apart from  which they don't sell you trued fabric so you have to buy excess!

I made a couple of muslins before cutting my fabric

I don't mind doing that because no one pattern gives you an exact fit. I am surprised that you didn't get much joy from Burda. They are very particular about their reputation.

3. Josefly | | #10

I shouldn't give Burda a bad rep...after all, they did at least communicate with me, having first to send my emails to someone who could translate them into German, then send their replies back to the same person who would translate them for me into English. The translator wasn't a sewist, so there was some difficulty with terminology. They were very cordial, but still couldn't explain why my measurement of the pattern showed a shorter bust length than their fitting chart did. I was trying to fit my daughter, mailing muslins back and forth, so it was frustrating not to be able to reconcile the pattern with the fitting chart before having to make the muslin. If I'd been sewing for myself, the problem wouldn't have been so frustrating.

3. BernaWeaves | | #11

My mother taught me never to go by the yardage recommendations on the back of the pattern.  She always went home, cut out the pattern pieces, fit them to me, made the appropriate pattern adjustments (I always needed more length in the arms and legs and a shorter body), and then she would do her own pattern layout for the various different widths of fabric available.  Her yardage needed was often less than the pattern recommendations, because she was very good a laying out the pieces.  Then, and only then, would she go and buy the fabric.  I learned a lot from her just by watching.

Berna

1. rekha | | #12

would do her own pattern layout for the various different widths of fabric available

I do that when I am allowed to open the pattern packet to take a peek. Nowadays the politically correct businesses don't allow you to do that

Then, and only then, would she go and buy the fabric

In those days there used be fabric shops everywhere. Today it is not like that; so you grab an estimate of what you see on the internet or in a shop with the view of making something out of it

2. Josefly | | #13

Your mother was smart to do that. My mom always said she could stretch a dollar as far as anyone could, and she frequently bought less fabric than the pattern envelope specified. Then when she got it home, sometimes she had to get creative about the layout, and sometimes she had to piece facings, etc.My mom did a lot of sewing for me when I was young, and I don't ever remember her finding a mistake in a pattern, the way mistakes are being found now. Nor did I find them through most of my years of sewing. Don't know why, but there seems to be much more of a problem with that these days. And with all the technology available these days, you'd expect fewer errors, wouldn't you?

1. Ralphetta | | #14

Unfortunately, machines don't have common sense. Dispensing with the human element is not always the smartest thing to do. Human proof readers would have prevented the error in a local paper recently. The article referred to a "toe-truck driver.' We laughed and laughed.

1. Josefly | | #15

"toe-truck driver." I'm still chuckling.

2. rekha | | #16

"toe-truck driver"

Could you please share the  joke with us on the other side of the big pond

1. damascusannie | | #17

It should have been "tow-truck driver". A tow-truck is used for towing inoperable vehicles to the repair shop. I have NO idea what a "toe-truck" would be used for! 8^)

2. Ralphetta | | #18

toe and tow are pronounced the same but mean very different things. Tow...means to pull something...like a tow-truck, used to pull cars. Toe, is one of the 5 digits attached to your foot. There is no such thing as a toe-truck, that's why we were laughing.

3. rekha | | #19

I got it the first time - you don't have to take the mickey

4. Ralphetta | | #20

Okay...now I don't understand. Please tell me what that means? I always learn so much on this site because the participants are from all over.

5. rekha | | #21

Tee, hee, I was pulling your leg and I can see your future sewing project will need serious re revision (joking)

6. Ralphetta | | #22

Really...what does "take the Mickey" mean? I've never heard that before. (I'm glad to hear that you were joking, 'cause i thought maybe I had offended someone.)

7. rekha | | #23

taking the Mickey is an alternative phrase for pulling you leg

8. Ralphetta | | #24

Thanks, I would NEVER have figured that one out!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights