Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

White Brand model good? 1999/565

Lucylou | Posted in General Sewing Info on

I never hear anyone mention discussion on this brand- White.  I am just starting out and do not want to spend a lot of money.  Is this comparable to Singer?  Does anyone own a 1999 or 565 version?

Thinking of buying used.

Thank you.

Replies

1. User avater
    wghmch | | #1

White has just been a brand name since about 1958 when their US factory went under. There have been some pretty decent machines and some real junk, but they have come from many different factories. Before you buy one, be sure it is checked out by a competent mechanic, just like you would do with a used car.Bill Holman

2. Teaf5 | | #2

Like Bill, I have heard of very positive and very negative experiences with White machines. It seems that any used model available would be more likely from someone who hates it; otherwise, why would he/she sell it? Even sewers who buy a fancier, more modern machine will hang onto a classic machine that works well. In addition to having it checked out, be sure to use it before buying.

3. Crazy K | | #3

I have been at my local JoAnn ETC store which houses a sewing machine dealer also.  The dealer is exclusively Husqvarna Viking but since they rent from JoAnn, they also have to sell the store brand.......White.  I have seen some of the machines come back in for repairs when out chit-chatting with the gals at the machine dealer.  The ones I have seen are hardly worth the money..........they do not sew well and keep going out of adjustment.  Sorry........that's just what I've seen.  My friend who works at the dealership has said she wouldn't take one home...........of course, she sells the Husq./Vikings!  She feels (an honest opinion, not a sales pitch) that a low end Husq. is a much better deal.....................

When I was getting back into sewing I decided to retire my vintage 1950's Pfaff and bought a very inexpensive Singer (and gave the old Pfaff to a Church quilting group) thinking it would be so much better.  I ended up making ONE (yes, I'm yelling!) child's outfit and never used it again.  It knotted up, wouldn't stitch right, couldn't keep it set to sew at all.  I put it in the closet and went and bought a mid-priced Janome....................stitched like a dream.  I spent a little more for the Janome but I got ten times the machine............it was worth the extra.

There is my two-cents for whatever it is worth!

1. Lucylou | | #4

Thanks Crazy K!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights