Four Sisters Playing on the Beach
I just learned how to draft my own patterns when I found a portrait titled “Sewing” from a painter named William Adolphe Bouguereau. I fell in love with the portrait so I designed the same outfit for our daughter. She is the one walking toward me in the photo. I had an awful time trying to match the blue used in the portrait for the skirt, so I went with a dark olive green instead.
Instead of redrafting the chemise, the only pattern I used for this outfit was a pattern from Kannik’s Korner, and I have to say that I was happy with it. For years I stayed away from drafting because I thought it to be too complicated. But after so many years of using patterns that just don’t work, I decided that it was time to learn it, and now I LOVE it. I will not go back to using a store bought pattern again!!
For the bodice I used an ivory silk dupioni and the apron is a light olive silk dupioni. The bodice is a white linen and the skirt is a dark olive linen. The fabrics were a joy to work with!!
Our other girls are wearing regency dresses by www.sensiblility.com made out of 100% cotton fabric. I made these before I learned to draft my own patterns and I was happy with the patterns, but I had to make adjustments to them, of course.
I have seen regency dresses made out of prints and I don’t like the way the princess seems in the back do not match up. They cut off the pattern, and I don’t like that look, so I came up with a solution. I hope to post how I matched up the pattern on the back of the green dress on our website (www.emmasattic.wordpress.com). There you can see a close up of the back of the dress and the detachable sleeves that are a part of this dress. (Those photo’s coming soon!!)
The little one in the green dress has buttons that cost more than I would have liked to have spent, but they were well worth it. They are the focal point on this dress, second only to her big eyes, of course!!
Our daughter wearing the brown linen regency is the same pattern as above, but I cut out about 1 1/2 to 2″ at the back seam to add in the lacing. I used grommets that my husband copperplated for me in the hopes that they would eventually patina (turn greenish), and they have. Beautiful!! For her underdresses, I made a few so it could be interchangeable.
If you haven’t yet, or are intimidated about drafting your own patterns, I would strongly encourage you to try it!!! You might love the process as much as I do!!