Dickens Holiday Party Outfit
- I made all items from my own self drafted patterns.
- This vintage style ensemble is for a Dickens themed Holiday Party held as part of a yearly celebration. Guests are all urged to dress in period correct attire.
- There are 5 pieces to this outfit:
- (1) The skirt is multi gored constructed of cranberry shade satin with peats controlling the fabric at the waist. It is fully lined and skirt is mounted on a 2″ wide grossgrain waistband. All verticle seams are French seams to control fraying. Skirt is supported by a 6 rung hoop slip.
- (2)The batiste camisole barely peeks out at the front jacket cleavage and is present to fill the low jacket neckline. It is ivory with a 6″ wide heavy lace border edging the top.
- (3) The deep wine shade velvet princess seamed jacket is snugly fitted and is underlined/interlined, boned and lined. It has a demi cape about the shoulders which is attached at the shawl collar. The jacket front has bias corded loops twisted and secured at one end and in the center front with the loose end free for looping over the buttons. The buttons are velvet covered and of graduated sizes. The buttons and loops are over a concealed hook & eye closure which is backed by a placket of the velvet. A divided apron falls over the front of the skirt . It is cut in one with the princess seam sections of the bodice. 2 piece sleeve detail is folded bias trim made into box pleats which edge the wide lined cuffs. They are also trimmed with the velvet covered buttons and have gathered wide ivory lace as an undercuff. The lace is intentionally made to peek out from the cuffs at both the bottom and at the edges where the 2 sides of the cuff meet. The jacket is edged with Mongolian lamb skin on the demi cape, shawl collar and apron skirt.
- (4) The fur muff of the same fur as jacket edging, is lined with white satin and has a concealed zipper pocket for the small essentials such as keys and hankerchief, as well as a twisted cord handle for carrying. Muff is interlined for wamth and to give it body.
- (5)Completeing the outfit is the matching velvet hat. The hat base is made of buckram which is formed and wired to shape. At the rear it has ostrich plumes dyed to match the velvet. Wide combs on the under side hold hat in place as well as ribbons which tie under the back of the hair.
- Entire outfit was made on a Janome Memory Craft 9000 sewing machine and only basic stitches were used as well as extensive hand stitching.
Front detail showing the corded bias loops over gaduated covered buttons. Hidden hook & eye closure is on placket beneath jacket front.
Sleeve detail of bias box pleated trim on wide cuffs with covered buttons. Wide lace inner cuff peaks from sleeve bottom and divide of cuff.
Velvet hat made of wire and formed buckram . Trim is dyed to match ostrich plumes.
Back of jacket showing the fur edged demi-cape and shawl collar.
Front of vintage styled cranberry and wine ensemble showing the fitted velvet jacket with fur trimmed apron,demi cape,shawl collar over gored,lined satin skirt. Mongolian lamb fur muff is in the left hand, matching velvet and ostrich feather hat on neck of dress form.
Get the latest including tips, techniques and special offers straight to your inbox.