HEIRLOOM BABY ENSEMBLE
My granddaughter Ashlee requested an heirloom outfit for her new baby daughter, my first great, Aubrey Sarah. I shipped the outfit to TX on October 04, 2011 and then I saw this contest in Threads on the 5th. First of all, I preshrunk the fabric by machine washing and drying it. I used an old copied pattern, no instructions included, for a six month old baby, for the dress and hat. I drafted the cape pattern, using the dress shoulder pattern width as my guide, making it a bit wider so it would fit over the dress like a coat would. I cut my pattern for the cape, flaring it to fit over the dress. It has slits for the arms to go through. I pin tucked the fabric before cutting out the various pieces like the dress front, cape collar and pocket lapels and hat brim. I preshrunk the interfacings as well as the cotton string to cover in bias self- fabric for the piping. The dress bodice, cape and hat are all lined. The right side of the fabric has a slight tone on tone pattern to it. I used the back smooth side of it for the linings. There are no raw seams in any of the garments. It was a labor of love, using hand stitching a lot, taking many hours to complete, but I loved doing every stitch.
Get the latest including tips, techniques and special offers straight to your inbox.