My husband wanted a pirate costume for his work Halloween competition. I’ve only ever made a pair of pajama pants, a simple knit dress, and two simple tops, so this project challenged me in many ways – especially since it was going to be on display at my husband’s workplace.
I generally followed the instructions as written (in some cases, improvising where it was unclear). I did need to add triangular gussets to the pants to accommodate the needed size – I’d never worked with gussets before, so this was a learning experience. I also did not use braid on the coat – I opted to make buttonholes, though I did not open them since my husband wasn’t going to button it. I used some metallic Madeira embroidery thread I was given; I’d never used it before because it is so delicate, but it worked out well once I worked out the right tension settings. I also raised the slit on the shirt a bit.
This was a great personal sewing challenge – it really expanded my horizons. It was the first time I worked with a slick fabric (the vest lining), fabric with nap (the vest and the coat), gussets, set in sleeves, and literally dozens of buttonholes.
View of the full costume, with a pirate pose!
Close up of the coat and cuff details.
Full view of the vest, shirt and pants, without the coat.
Closeup of the vest and coat buttons.
Log in or create an account to post a comment.Sign up Log in