Alice and the Mad Hatter
Alice was made using the Simplicity 1300 overdress. The fabric was all given to me. Since it was free, I thought it would be perfect for the entire costume but it was a polyester that was too heavy for the skirt. Instead of the skirt pattern, I made a tutu out of a roll of tulle and grosgrain ribbon. This gave the overdress some lift.
The Mad Hatter’s coat was made out of upholstery fabric. It has somewhat of a waxy feel and doesn’t hang as well as I would have liked it to but it was inexpensive. I lined it with an inexpensive piece of orange lining fabric. The pants were made without a pattern out of a polyester pant fabric. The vest was made using McCall’s 4321 vest pattern, view D. I used remnant pieces of fabric from my stash.
The Hatter’s sash was made out of empty thread spools I found in my Grandmother’s sewing stuff and I made the hat out of cardboard, the vest remnant fabric, and hot glue.
Get the latest including tips, techniques and special offers straight to your inbox.