Princess Aurora (Sleeping Beauty)
My daughter decided to be Princess Aurora about a year ago. She had a sticker that looked just like my inspiration photo attached and I went off of that. I started with Simplicity 1303 but made some modifications to make it work for Aurora. I redesigned the sleeve to come down to a point and be held in place by a loop around the middle finger. This just looked more “royal” to me. I used fold-over elastic to bind the sleeve and create the loop.
Next I added gold and white rik-rak trim to the front bodice to add some glitter and accentuate the seams that are tell tale Aurora to me. I kept the detachable belt idea from the original pattern because I thought this dress may turn into just an everyday dress for my daughter (she likes dressing fancy). I draped the white pointed portion of the belt ensuring the points hit at center front, sides, and center back. I also copied the rik-rack design from the bodice so that when the belt is on they would line up perfectly and be virtually undetectable. The crown was fashioned by taking stiff interfacing and spray gluing yellow paper to it. Then I took an existing dress up crown and spray glued the Aurora crown cut out I made to it. The inside of the dress features 6″tall gathered tulle band for added body. I alternated plain pink tulle with glitter pink tulle in the skirt to copy the glittering panels of the skirt in the inspiration photo. I found this also added depth to the design, it looked less flat this way. The collar was also draped by me. I made it easy to take off, although it’s not exactly a “detachable” feature like I had originally planned. I reminded myself this IS a costume so maybe let’s just make it easy on the seam ripper haha. I love the outcome of my first princess dress and am hoping to make a whole suite of princess dresses for her as a Christmas gift.
With her school uniform underneath it still fits. It's important where we live that you be able to layer underneath your costume. (photo by me)
The length was perfect for pumpkin patch activities as well as a wet snowy Halloween night. (photo by me)
The belt is detachable and the collar can be easily removed with the idea that she will probably wear this as a regular dress after Halloween. (photo by me)
I drafted the sleeve to come down to a point and used fold over elastic to bind and create the finger hole (photo by me)
My inspiration (photo taken from a google search of Princess Aurora)
Get the latest including tips, techniques and special offers straight to your inbox.