Moderate, for the confident sewer. Follow the instructions to the letter and there will be no issues.
Size Range and Fitting:
Sized 34 to 60 for waists 23-3/4 inches to 49-5/8 inches and hips 33-3/4 inches to 60 inches. These pants are fitted at the waist and full elsewhere. The finished measurements are accurate.
Select medium-weight woven fabrics with drape, such as cotton, linen, wool sateen, lightweight twill, denim, and velvet. For the trouser view, our tester recommends three-season woolens, silk dupioni, or twill. For the shorts, consider lightweight denim.
Style and Sewing Details:
View A is trouser-style pants with straight legs and tailored details. View B is shorts with a 5-inch-long inseam.
- The design has a three-piece straight waistband with five belt loops, a button closure, and separate facings. The belt carrier ends are inserted in the upper and lower seams on the waistband.
- The pants have a fly-front zipper closure, partially sewn pleats (two on each side), and angled pockets in front. In back, there are two waistline darts, and welt pockets.
- The waistband’s bottom edge sits at the natural waistline.
- The illustrations and instructions are accurate, but pay attention to step 1, #4, to accurately transfer the welt pocket markings and sew the back waist darts. Also in step 4, #11, take care not to catch any other material in the seam while securing the fly shield.
- All seam lengths match, but there are no notches marked on the pattern. Add some for convenience.
- The pant legs have 2-1/8-inch-deep hem allowances, while the shorts have curved, faced hems. Both hems are machine-stitched in place.
This review was originally published in Threads #221, Spring 2023. Have you made this pattern? If so, be sure to share pictures in our Readers Closet gallery.
Photos: Jack Deutsch. Illustrations: Cassandra Bernier.