How to Make a Comfy Custom Patchwork Pillow
It’s a good thing these pillows are quick and easy to make because once you make one, you’ll want to add more to your home décor.
They are 24 inches square and, depending on how you stuff them, they can be a soft throw pillow or a comfortable floor cushion. Make one for your pets to nap on or a few for extra seating when playing video games or hanging out around the coffee table. They will also find their way onto the sofa as extralarge pillows, perfect for napping. Whatever the purpose, each pillow’s nine-piece patchwork top is a quick way to brighten up any room.
This version is made from 100-percent cotton quilting fabric. Since you can use almost any stable fabric, the options are plentiful. Choose fabric that is already in your home or some great sheeting or even plushy microfiber fleece. Have fun selecting your combinations. Play with your print choices as well as your color options. You may want to double your selection and make two at a time for a matching set.
- Nine 9-inch fabric squares for the pillow front
- 25-inch fabric square for the pillow back
- 16-ounce bag of fiberfill
1. Prewash and dry the fabric. Press the fabric if it can be pressed. Arrange the 9-inch squares in a 3-by-3 array. Make sure that the nap or prints are oriented in the desired direction.
2. Sew three squares into a strip. With right sides together, align the adjacent edges of two squares; pin to secure. Next, with right sides together align the adjacent edges of the remaining square and pin. Sew both seams with a 1/2-inch-wide seam allowance. Repeat for the remaining two rows of squares, to create three strips.
3. If the fabric may be pressed, press…