Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Make your own slippers (issue 104)

Crafty_Manx | Posted in Feedback on Threads on

Has anyone tried to make their own slippers according to the guidelines set down in issue 104?  How did it turn out?  I am thinking of making a pair to wear on Christmas morning (the Scooby Doo heads on my slippers scare my kitten).  I’m planning on using foam rubber for the insoles (it’s what I can get) and something soft like velvet for “everything else”.  I am also going to try to make a “closed back” either by putting a thin elastic to go around my heel or by making the slipper more like a shoe with a fully enclosed edge.  I want to know if anyone has attempted to make these slippers already and would have some advice?

~Cat

Replies

1. Jean | | #1

I'm interested in hearing from  someone who has made them too.  My DD went ga-ga when she saw them. How  much  time is involved? Maybe I still can make a pair before Christmas.  ???

2. crwritt | | #2

I started a pair of those slippers, since the ones in the article were so enticing. Mine are black cotton velvet, lined in purple satin, with a band of jeweltoned striped biascut wool. I tested my pattern in heavy paper, taping it together and trying it on. I didnt have the wool felt, so I tried the felted carpet padding from Home Depot. It took a long time to cut that padding, as it is recycled out of lots of stuff. Instead of gluing the band to the padding, I stitched it by hand. I have yet to attach the soles, but the slippers look respectable. I do not plan to use leather and blanket stitch it. I will use a thin shoemaker's soling, and glue it with contact cement. After my experience with the padding, I noticed wool felt men's boot insole  liners at the local discount sporting goods store. See if you can find them, as they could make the job easier! Plan on a quiet weekend to work on these, especially if you are doing any embellishment. Colleen

3. Peg_Head | | #3

Pardon the Peg Head reference.  Thats my husbands nickname from the homebuilders site.   Anyway, I haven't tried these particular slippers yet, however, I have made quite a few pair of leather moccasins.  My passion is beadwork.  I like the leather sole as it wears well.  I use Dr. Scholls inserts because they're thin and I like that but the felt boot insoles are a great idea and I've purchased them at farm stores that sell the winter boots and the rubber field boots.  As far as the closed back goes.  I find the best fit in my mocs is to have a seam in the back of the heel that is slightly curved.  Don't make them to curved inward at the top.  You definately want the heel to be able to rub, or move up and down a little bit without wearing a blister on your tendon.  If you don't want the seam a little elastic should do the trick.  My Inca boots have a leather tie that ties around the ancle.  My slip on mocs have a one piece top with only a seam at the heel.  Good luck!  Valerie

1. SewingYvonne | | #4

Hi there,
      I did have a go at making these as overshoes for wellington boots so that you don't get mud in the house. I will try and find them and see if I remember what I did. I think I changed a few things to suit my needs.
      Will get back here soon
      Yvonne

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights