Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Old silk fromIndia, possible 1965

DeeDee_ | Posted in The Archives on

Replies

1. DeeDee_ | | #1

Recently acquired beautiful silk from India. The fabric was originally purchased in India around 1995. Any suggest on the cleaning it, suggestions on the use etc. Any and all help would/will be appreciated.

1. barbara_quinn | | #2

*From my extensive experience sewing antique-style doll costumes, I have learned that most India silk, which is most of the slubbed duppioni types available today, washes beautifully but you do lose sheen when doing so.The other thing I've learned is that it fades badly when exposed to sun (even a North exposure) and fluorescent lighting, especially shades of blue. If your fabric is still strong, that is it doesn't tear or shred easily, it should be safe to sew.

1. Victoria_Miesle | | #3

*When washing silk, you simply treat is as you would 'hair'. Wash in luke warm water, mild soap OR shampoo! Roll in a towel to remove the excess water and then while still damp, press with a dry iron until dry(medium setting). Do not use woolite on silk--it takes the dye out! Good Luck!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights