Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Pattern for Dress shown on p.60 of #138

velvetmad | Posted in Patterns on

My very first post in any message board, ever!  Does anybody know if the charcoal-colored dress with the wrapped and shirred neckline shown on p.60 of Threads issue no. 138, August/September, in the article “Sew Green”, is an available commercial pattern?  No pattern info is given, so I am assuming it must be ready-to-wear; but I thought I would ask anyway.  Or, in the alternative, does anybody know of a pattern that is very close to the shown dress?  Thanks!  Madeleine

Replies

1. Cherrypops | | #1

Hi Ariel,

Would you be able to answer, or find out information, on the question posted above by velvetmad.

Thanks,

Anna-Maree - Sydney Australia

Edited 7/16/2008 9:21 am by Cherrypops

1. User avater
      agfreedm | | #3

Hi there-there was no question attached to this posting-let me know where I can find your question and I can see if we can get you an answer-thanks!
      Ariel

1. Cherrypops | | #4

Ariel,

This is the questions asked by a relatively new forum Member "Velvetmad":post 8731.1

Does anybody know if the charcoal-colored dress, p.60 of Threads issue no. 138is an available commercial pattern? 

No pattern info is given.

Does anybody know of a pattern that is very close to the shown dress? 

Thanks for any information :) CP

Edited 7/16/2008 9:18 pm by Cherrypops

1. katina | | #5

Cherrypops, I checked out the website given in the article and didn't see the dress in question. So, unless I missed it, this seems to be a commercial pattern. I wonder if the editors realize how it torments us when this info's not provided!

1. Cherrypops | | #6

Now I have missed something....Website?? Which Website??? I cannot survive without Websites for extra information...

I'll go read the article again.

It looks like something from the 1940's. ??  Searching vintage dress patterns again..no sleep tonight.

I'm hoping Ariel will locate her resources for us and give us something to go on...It is a lovely dress.

Edited 7/17/2008 3:26 am by Cherrypops

2. katina | | #7

You betcha no sleep! At the end of the article
            studioSKB.com

3. katina | | #8

Hopefully, Ariel should be able to provide that info, otherwise, I'm sure you'll find it. Have you checked the website? Could be I missed it there...?

edited to add:

This was meant or YOU, Cherrypops. How did I contrive to send it to myself?

Edited 7/17/2008 4:03 am ET by Katina

4. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #9

Apparently all the articles of clothing in the Sew Green article are RTW. Note on the Home page of StudioSKB that they have a link to "On-Line Boutique --- garments as seen in Threads magazine". If you click there, you are taken to garments on sale and every one of them are in the Threads article. Sad they aren't selling patterns for the clothing rather than the clothing itself.

5. katina | | #10

Thanks! Yes indeed, one can't easily tweak RTW (and one may not want to pay the price for the item), but the pattern can be adjusted.

6. velvetmad | | #12

Yes, it is very sad.  When I originally posted the question, I had not yet read the article -- I just saw the dress and was captivated; and since the article was entitled "Sew Green", I just assumed the images were of garments that could be "sewn"!

After getting a response from Threads' editors referring me to the website, I found the dress.  Unfortunately, even if I were inclined to buy RTW rather than make my own (which I haven't done in I don't know how long), it appears this particular dress is from end-of-season, because the only sizes left are XS, S, and M.  I had a look at the size charts on the site, and it looks like the XL would have been just about right, but I'm never satisfied with the fit of RTW (short body, irritatingly large bust).

I guess I'll just have to find something similar and tweak it.  It's never easy!

Thanks for the response!

7. Cherrypops | | #14

"After getting a response from Threads' editors referring me to the website, I found the dress"

I am pleased you got a response....can you let me know which message within this discussion contained the website please.

8. User avater
            agfreedm | | #15

Hi there,
            that dress is from Shark K Blair's organic clothing line which can be found on StudioSKB.com. There may be somewhere on her site to contact her and ask if she used a particular pattern. Hope this helps!
            ArielThe website was listed on page 62 on the bottom on the article.

9. Cherrypops | | #16

Thank you for your reply, I appreciate it.

I will do as you suggest and contact StudioSKB.

I will also look more closely for website listings in future articles.

:) Anna-maree

10. katina | | #17

Hi Cherrypops

You think the designer used a commercial pattern? Could be it's something she drafted herself?

Katina

11. Cherrypops | | #18

Donna wrote, at post 12; I recently stumbled on an almost exact match in the pattern books.

I am hoping Donna can locate it. Would be very interesting to see the likeness.

There are some in Vouge which can be adapted to create what is shown on SKB.

StudioSKB had to have drafted the pattern. It's a pity their drafted/design pattern is not included in the patterns listing on their website.

12. katina | | #19

I'm sure Donna will track it down - she's not the type to give up.

The whole question of "original" is thought-provoking...how much can one tweak another's design (in whatever medium) and call it original? During Picasso's African Period, he was greatly influenced by the African art which was being brought into France from the colonies. But such influence is not a breach of copyright. This is a  very grey area, much written about, much debated. So, if one makes a dress like the one now under discussion...is this copying?

Katina

13. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #20

It is indeed a pity. You'd think anyone writing an article written for sewers (okay -- sewists, seamstresses, fabric artists, whatever....) would understand that their readers might want to duplicate or use for inspiration their work. Perhaps the author thought we'd be interested in the fabric only, which was of course the topic. Not a chance. And of course, she'd like to SELL her clothing to us, too. Not much of a chance of that either, being creative types ourselves. It was an interesting article, however.

14. Kitch | | #21

Hi Folks.  I am brand new at this so be patient,  I love that dress also.  It does have a vintage look to it and I love seeing women looking more femine.  That is the best part of sewing we can make it our way. 

15. katina | | #22

Hi Kitch and welcome

That's what it's all about here on Gatherings - doing things our way, and learning constantly from the others.

Katina

16. Cherrypops | | #24

Hello Kitch, Welcome, You have come to the best place, we learn a lot here. The ladies have so much experience with Sewing ( machines, techniques, resources). Ask any questions you may have, and please don't fret if it takes a day or two for an answer.

17. Cherrypops | | #23

Thank you JunkQueen . . . We do crave a little more than what is offered to us. So we ask questions and do our searches..  I did enjoy the article and learnt about the Fabrics...(I have only seen Hemp Skirts at the markets)

2. Cherrypops | | #2

Hello and welcome to the discussion....

I have sent a message to the Ariel, Assistant Editor of Threads, asking her if she can help you out.

In the meantime, I'm sure other members might come up with something.

Cp - sydney australia

Edited 7/16/2008 9:22 am by Cherrypops

3. DONNAKAYE | | #11

I recently stumbled on an almost exact match in the pattern books.  I'm going to a Vogue pattern sale tomorrow and will try and find it for you....donna

1. Cherrypops | | #13

I know I have seen the dress similar to #138 page 60 in a commercial pattern...but i cannot remember where.

Please let us know if you come across it.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights