Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Power Piecing Article in Threads #138

rodezzy | Posted in Feedback on Threads on

I absolute love the jacket in the “Power Piecing” article of Threads Sept. 2008 issue on pg. 64-65.  I describe it as……me!  I love the drama and excitment of the design.  I will attempt to make it.  I will, I will, I will.  I just have to do it. 

Since I make quilts, the piecing process is one that I’ve used, although not just like what is done in the article, but the process is familiar.  I believe I can pull this one off.  I just love it.  Is there a pattern for the coat?  I did find a coat pattern with the seams running down the shoulder to the cuff.  I can use the top half of the pattern.  I also have two vintage patterns from Vogue with short jackets with the same seams.  Will that be sufficient?

Rodezzy, Fiber Artist

Replies

1. Cherrypops | | #1

The magazine arrived yesterday and when I saw this too, my first words "I want this, I will tuck this one away for later".

Which coat pattern did you find that could be suitable?

I know you will enjoy making it.

Keep us posted.

1. rodezzy | | #2

I pulled this one from my pattern stash.  Vintage Vogue V2934, you can lengthen the bottom, or not.  I can't remember the other one.  I'll tell you tomorrow.  It's at home.  I was generally pulling patterns with the seam down the sleeve from the neck to cuff.  Do you have any pattern suggestions in your pattern stash?  Would love to see.  Actually, from the magazine pattern, I can't tell if it is a one piece with a seam up the back or a dropped shoulder with the sleeve sewn on flat out.  What'd you think?

View Image

Edited 7/15/2008 10:21 am ET by rodezzy

1. Cherrypops | | #3

Rodezzy, I have this pattern which has the Seam down the arms which I would need to lengthen, and the Seam up the back. .. could eliminate that.

It is very difficult to tell on the magazine photo, but I took it as being the Seam up the back.

Look at the attached pic. and share your thoughts.

http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page has many more styles. use the menu far right of screen page.

1. Gloriasews | | #4

By golly, CP, your pattern was a great surprise - I actually made that jacket when I was in high school in the 1950s (& forgot all about it).  Those jackets were really popular then, to wear with skirts, with sweaters or blouses underneath.  Of course, if you wore a sweater, you had to wear the pearls to go with it :)   Mine was made of olive green velveteen, which matched with colours in several tweed & plaid skirts I'd made.  We were too young at the time to wear suits, but this outfit would be suitably dressy (except for school, we wore our white socks & saddle shoes).  LOL.  Thanks for the memory.

This pattern would work well for the pieced jacket, with the sleeves extended to your wrist.  To me, though, the picture in the magazine looks like it is seamed down the back, as it looks like the top of the back is in the black & V-shaped, with no strips.  It also looks to me like the underarm piece to the waist is in plain black, too, without strips. What do you think?  I absolutely hate pictures of black clothing, as you can never see the details, eh?  I, too, love that jacket - guess we'll just have to wing it as to design.

Gloria

2. katina | | #7

Hi CherryP

Don't know if I should thank you for this link or not - too fabulous! Bang goes another morning web trolling. That is, after I go off in search of my black batiste...I prewashed it last night and left it on the line. Strong north wind kicked in last night and my fabric's gone a-wandering.

Katina

3. DONNAKAYE | | #9

Just a little-known fact:  Edna Bryte Bishop's pattern line was Advance Pattern Co.  The patterns are excellent.

1. Cherrypops | | #10

Thanks for that news....I have two advance patterns:

5180; picture here; http://vintagepatterns.wikia.com/wiki/Advance_5180

and 6179 – Jacket, Skirt, Blouse – 1940-50, Vintage Size16, 34’

no photo of 6179 yet.

4. Teaf5 | | #33

Wow, a size 14 was for a 32" bust?  Nowadays, a size 14 pattern lists a 36" bust but is big enough in the shoulders for a big, tall gal like me!  Good thing that coat pattern is not very fitted.

1. Cherrypops | | #34

it depends on the pattern company . some of my vintage/original patterns are size 16 34" bust.

I am 33.5 with a 27.5 waist. I find those in that era fit me better than the modern ones.  

2. Gloriasews | | #36

CP, you could make that jacket for winter wear if you lined it with Thinsulate - that is such a warm lining for coats & jackets, isn't thick & is washable.  It's also very warm to -45C if your outer fabric is substantial for winter.  Just a thought.  Of course, by the time you finish the jacket, it'll be summer again, eh?  :)

I was just as surprised as Teaf by the sizing in those old patterns - I'd forgotten all about that.  You're so tiny that that jacket will look fabulous on you.

Gloria

5. rodezzy | | #40

Yes, it does look like there is a seam up the back and I did notice that before.  I failed to express that observation.....giggle.  You are very observate too.  he he. 

That pattern you sent looks great.  Good clean lines and would you make the sleeves short or long.  I guess it depended on the time of year you planned to wear it and the fabric content....?  I love that pattern.  I am vintage myself now, but when I was in my late teens and early 20' 30's, I shopped at vintage stores for clothes.  I loved the styles.  I was also very hooked on old movie musicals, with Fred Astair ang Ginger Rogers, Gene Kelly and the like.  I loved the clothes they wore and still do.  I believe I'm going to have take a class in fitting in order to make more clothes for myself.  Suddenly I'm longing for vintage outfits.  giggle. 

2. Gloriasews | | #6

This pattern of yours should work well.  Are the sleeves set-in or are they batwing or dolman?

Gloria

3. User avater
        ThreadKoe | | #8

Rodezzy, I think it is the perfect pattern. The one in the mag appears to be a Dolman sleeve, so you should have no problems adapting it my creative friend. To me it appears as if the strips have been omitted towards the underarm area to reduce bulk. In other words, the shorter strips that run from the under arm area have been skipped. Cathy

1. rodezzy | | #11

The other coat pattern that I found was New Look 6686.  The coat is a dolman sleeves.  I have this pattern already and many coat and jacket patterns.

View Image

As far as eliminating the fabric, I believe that is the elusion from flipping the fabric over to the black side at the lowest part of the underarm seam. 

Yes, it also looks like a dolman sleeve.  I have skimmed the article and read the article.  Each time I take away a new understanding.  This morning my understanding shows why Mary Ray did not include a pattern for this jacket. 

The object is for you to take your own pattern that you would like to see with this fabric manipulation and play with it making it your own. 

That finally sunk in this morning.  "When I work with a shaped garment edge"  and "When I work with a garment that has straight lines" are the words that made me understand that Mary Ray has offered me a way to play with fabric with my own pattern styles and not a rigid one pattern only design.  Thank you Mary Ray.  I feel free to play and I'm not so panicky now about the pattern.  I even went to Joanne Fabrics yesterday and poured over coat and jacket patterns, when I have what I need at home aready. 

I still like the dolman sleeve which gives me the attention to my upper body that I need with this illusion.  I have narrow shoulders and a wide bottom (pear shape) and this gives me the illusion of wider shoulders and that's the biggest reason I love the look of this piece.  Sometimes in the excitement of a new project, I have to stop and focus on the "written details" and get it right.  giggle!

1. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #12

Yes, on 2nd look, I think you are absoulutely correct. However, If I were to make this type of jacket, it is a modification I would consider as I am rather busty and have enough under the arm to deal with as it is . tee hee
            Either jacket pattern you have chosen would work nicely I think. Cathy

Edited 7/16/2008 9:41 am ET by ThreadKoe

2. rodezzy | | #13

And have minimal bust, narrow shoulders and my arms have always been thin pretty much.  The upper part has plumped up some.  It is very deceiving, because from the waist down....................whew.  It's like somebody stuck my upper half on someone else's lower half.  People keep saying "but you have a shape".  Yea, well.....that's too much shape to me.

3. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #14

A circle is a shape, so is a cylinder, so is a triangle...and each is beautiful and has its own purpose... Cathy

4. rodezzy | | #15

Thank you.

5. Josefly | | #16

I think you've really hit on the heart of the article. So many different things can be done with those strips! The writer refers to a quilt-maker in Paducah, KY, as inspiration. I visited the quilt museum in Paducah last summer, and there were several quilts shown using the strip technique. Some were made with strips of brightly colored prints and batiks. The directional folding of the printed fabrics was amazing. I didn't realize they were separate strips - I thought they were tucks, sewn and then pressed in different directions - some were quite narrow, maybe as narrow as 3/8 inch. So the width of the strips on a garment could be wider or narrower than those shown in the article, and it would give a very different look. For busty or curvy women who don't like the bulk of those strips, the narrower ones with a less bulky fabric could be used. Cutting the strips and foundation on the bias interests me, too - I'd like to see how the bias strips behave, using a softer, smooth-faced fabric than that used in the article jacket. I'm really interested in what you and others will come up with using this technique. Maybe the ideas have to "stew" awhile?

6. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #17

I was thinking the same thing -- using a softer, more supple fabric. Like charmeuse, maybe. And I was thinking shades of the same color. Beige, for instance. Or tone on tone prints and solids mixed for a really elegant look. That technique is really interesting and has so many possibilities.

7. rodezzy | | #19

Wow, what beautiful quilts.  Those are tucks though, right?  I added that site to my favorites.  Just awesome.

8. katina | | #20

Think of the jackets you can make!

9. rodezzy | | #21

I'm thinking, I'm thinking.  Two of my talented friends came over last night to share and work. 

Sandra was on the sewing machine making a signature quilt for a little girl at her church having her second birthday.  She was a preemie baby and the baby's grandma quit work to take care of her, but unfortunately the grandma died not long after the baby was born.  One of the blocks had a wonderful message from the grandma, as the signatures were gathered before the baby's 1st birthday.  It's very touching and will be a wonderful keepsake for the child beyond this second BD.

Sarah brought her Einstien coat she is knitting, but ended up having me teach her the interlocking circles in order to replicate a capelet I have just finished.  She was very excited and did four circles before she left.

These are the times I cherish with my like minded friends.  We shared patterns and books also.  Sandra had been to Las Vegas and brought back a felted, ruffled purse pattern for me.  Also, two wonderful quilt patterns.  I shared my Threads magazine with the Zebra jacket, the unfinished doll from my doll class and other stuff I'm working on with both ladies.  It was fun.

10. katina | | #22

Sounds wonderful, Rodezzy - knitting and sewing all happening at once.

Glad you're busy.

Katina

11. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #25

Rodezzy, you are such a wealthy woman to have friends such as those! Cathy

12. rodezzy | | #38

And a friend like you.

13. Gloriasews | | #28

You said it - Wow!  What a site.  I, too, added it to my favourites & spent an hour looking at everything. 

Rodezzy, I just got a book out of library and, as I looked through it, I thought of you. It's entitled The Fiberarts Book of Wearable Art by Katherine Duncan Aimone.  It has the most beautiful coats you've ever seen - & one designer has coats & jackets done with different coloured strips like the one we're all interested in in this thread.  Some are patchwork, some are appliqued & embellished & some are tucked.  Unbelievable work!  There are other items of clothing in this book, too.  Lots of inspiration!  I put it on my Christmas wish list, as Amazon has it available & there are used copies, too.  Just thought you'd like to see it, too, as you also like this kind of garment.

Gloria

14. Josefly | | #23

Thanks again for another great link. Yes, some of those quilts were very like what I saw at the Quilt Museum in Paducah. In spite of the description "high tech tucks" used on this link, though, on looking at the "detail" photos, it's plain that these are narrow strips sewn in the manner of the Threads jacket article. I love the "wavy" look of the strips pressed in different directions. Some of the color combinations are just glorious, aren't they? And there's one shown with neutral shades - very attractive.I'm still excited about the possibilities. I wonder how it would look if a 3- or 4-inch wide strip, "power-pieced" using very narrow strips - 3/8" or so - would look applied to the center front of a jacket, or maybe just down the center back. Perhaps two strips on either side of the center front, with the strips pressed in opposite-direction "waves"? Or bias strips attached to a wide collar? Maybe just the fronts and back of a jacket covered with the strips, the sleeves made with one of the fabrics used in the strips, but plain.Fun to think about.

15. katina | | #24

You're very welcome - am glad you liked it. The embellishment possibilities are very exciting; I would prefer inserts such as you describe to an entire garment made this way. Less work too! Might be a good idea to make samples first, which could be used on cushions, or small purses etc.

Katina

16. Josefly | | #26

Good idea about the samples which could be used in home dec items. I think different prints/colors fabrics pieced this way would have dramatically different looks, and it would be fun to play around to see what happens when colors are combined. I can imagine a nice kind of ombre effect, using slightly different tones in sequence, then changing the sequence on the opposite side of the strips, so the shading goes in a different direction when the strips are pressed to the reverse side. Also the patterns of "waves" could vary by changing the points at which the strips are reversed.I agree also that small design areas using the technique would be more appealing to me, more comfortable to wear, maybe, than the all-over design demonstrated in the article.

17. katina | | #27

There you are Josefly - another challenge!

18. Gloriasews | | #30

Your 'what if' idea is great!  It would be more slimming for some of us bigger gals.  I've been mulling over this jacket ever since I saw it in the mag, too.  It definitely caused a spark.  In fact, you idea would make a nice coat.  Thanks!

Gloria

19. Josefly | | #32

Most welcome! I love hearing everyone's thoughts on this topic.

20. Gloriasews | | #29

I agree with Rodezzy - Wow, what a site!  I spent an hour on the site & got completely off this thread.  Thanks so much.  I, too, added it to my favourites.  What inspiration - it shows just how far you can go with these strips & tucks!  See my post to Rodezzy about a book on wearable art (mainly coats - but, oh, what coats)!

Gloria

21. katina | | #31

That book is fabulous, Gloria. Thanks for reminding me of it. I think all the needlewomen (needleworkers?) here would get ideas out of it. I'm busy putting a lining into a jacket I've just made, and have set myself the challenge of sewing the lining in completely by hand. Am really enjoying doing this!

Katina

22. Gloriasews | | #35

Yes, it is a fabulous book - I just can't get enough of it right now (second reading, already).  I feel another bog coat coming on that will be well-embellished :)

Good luck with your lining - that is a challenge doing it by hand, but what satisfaction you'll feel when it's done!  Hope you can show a picture of it.

Gloria

23. katina | | #37

Embellishment is good!

24. Gloriasews | | #43

It's not only good, it's creative & fun - & breeds more creativity.  The 'what if' kicks in big-time, the ideas flow, & we're raring to go onto the next project.

Gloria

25. rodezzy | | #39

Oh yea, the bog coat would really lend itself to that power piecing idea.  I printed it out some time ago, I think I will revisit the site concerning the bog coats. 

Edited 7/21/2008 11:04 am ET by rodezzy

26. Gloriasews | | #44

Not only the bog coats - in that Fiberarts book I mentioned earlier, most of the coats were made with rectangles or Tibetan style, with flared side pieces below the arms & some had arms kimono style & some had tapered arms.  I had loose arms on the first bog coat I made (it was only lined with heavy flannelette, but it was still good to wear to -10C).  The second coat I made had a fairly tight cuff, but full arm, as that one was the winter coat with the Thinsulate.  That one was so warm that I couldn't wear it in the malls in the winter (or indoors at all for longer than 5 minutes) - warmest coat I ever owned.  I made both of those coats from queen-size blankets.

Gloria

27. rodezzy | | #50

Wow, sounds great.  Queen size blankets?  We are so inventive in finding fabric for projects.  Sounds incredibly wonderful.  giggle.  I've yet to try the thinsulate, but I will.  It's time for making coats.  YES! 

28. Gloriasews | | #56

Yes, do try the blankets (that's how I was taught to make the bog coat & how to fold it).  My first very-embellished coat with the flannelette lining was just a sample to see how it would work, so I used a cheap acrylic blanket (not good, but I wore the coat for a few years & washed it many times).  The second super-warm coat with the Thinsulate lining was from a Velux blanket (again, an even poorer choice of blanket).  The blanket is very warm & washable, but it has a knitted foam core to it, so, of course, it wore at the cuffs, neck & edges, showing this core, & I wasn't aware of the core until I cut it, but, by then I was determined to finish the coat anyway.  Live & learn, eh?  I wore that coat for 3 years, though.  I've seen these coats made from very colourful Native-Indian-style blankets & they are beautiful and, I think, they'd wear better, too, & can be embellished, as well.  I will try a border design fleece next time for a thigh-length jacket, as the piece I have has a different border on each side, so the fold-over for the sleeves will be perfect.

Gloria

29. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #60

I once made an captote, which is like the bog coat you are talking about and was worn by trappers and mountain men. I won the blanket, a traditional Hudson Bay blanket, at a primitive rifle match (we shot muzzle loading rifles in competition at the time)as well as detailed directions for making the Capote. The traditional capote had an attached hood, which had what appeared to be a long tassel hanging from the point of the hood, but was actually a tying device which wrapped around the neck, held the hood on, and kept one's neck and even lower face warm. I wore it to football games (the national sport of Texas....)to keep warm. I was a wonderful coat.

30. rodezzy | | #63

Leave it to me, I looked up the Capote coats and the very first search site to come up showed how to make Capote coats.  Needless to say I printed it out.  Very interesting background.  In fact the title read "How to make a Hudson Bay Blanket Capote (Indian Blanket Coat).  On another site, it states:

"Capotes, from the very simple styles to the most elaborate, have been around for a long time and have been worn by people in all walks of life. They were designed or cut along the lines of early European or Colonial style clothing. Contrary to today's common belief, it was the French Voyageurs, rather than the American Indians, who popularized the capote. The Indians traded beaver pelts for the comfortable fitting tailored style blanket coats and added their own decorations."  http://www.nwtrader.com/pages/capotes.htm

You learn something new all the time.  Gatherings is a great place to learn lots, thanks JunkQueen.

31. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #64

You are very welcome, Rodezzy. I enjoyed making that capote and got lots of funny looks when I wore it to the football games. I didn't really care, because I was the only one without chattering teeth when the cold wind swirled around us through those open bleachers. Did you know that the short stripes, or points, indicate the size of the blanket? Contrary to popular belief, these points didn't indicate the number of beaver pelts the blanket would cost, although they did roughly correlate. I like people with curious minds!

32. Gloriasews | | #65

That blanket was a great prize, Annie Oakley :) !  You must be a great shot with the muzzle-loading guns - how did you ever learn to use one?  Those Hudson's Bay blankets are very warm & wear for ages (& are now very expensive).  I'm glad your coat turned out so warm, too.   The hood idea would be very practical.  There were touques like that in the '50s that hung down to one's backside, so they were long enough to wind around one's neck - worked really well, too.  I'd forgotten all about them, so thanks for mentioning the idea.

Gloria

33. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #77

Gloria, I've been offline for several days because of computer problems, but I'm computerized again. Just wanted you to know I was not ignoring you. I was a good shot "in the day", and we had so much fun doing that. My DH and son also shot, and they both threw the tomahawk in competition and occasionally a Bowie knife, if you can believe that. My DH taught me to shoot and handle the muzzleloader. That was when I sewed the 21-foot-diameter Sioux tepee. We participated in the really primitive side of the sport for only about a year and learned so much about our heritage. It was so much work to set up the campsites and prepare meals, having been spoiled to A/C and soft beds......... We changed our focus to participating in the more formal matches and staying in motels. LOLI was very pleased with that blanket as a prize. At about that same time, our favorite aunt died, and I was given my choice of anything I wanted. She had a pristine Hudson Bay blanket that was very old. I snatched it right up.

34. Gloriasews | | #78

What an interesting story!  Thanks for sharing.  I have to agree with you that, when we get older, primitive camping loses its appeal - we want more comfort & convenience now, but it was great fun in its day.

So now you're the proud owner of not 1, but 2 Hudson's Bay blankets - lucky you!

Gloria

35. KharminJ | | #79

Hi Gloria - This is resurrecting an old post, I know, but I'm still wandering around here finding great stuff that isn't currently active, so ...

Could you share a link to the "Bog Coat" you're talking about- pictures (good) or pattern (even better!)? It sounds both attractive and easy, plus warm! (It was in the forties here last night!) If you already did, I missed it ...

Thanks for any information!

Happy stitching ~

Kharmin

36. Gloriasews | | #80

Hi, Kharmin!  If you look in the 'Advanced Search' to the left hand side of the current threads in Gatherings - above where all the topics are listed, type in 'bog coat' & click on 'search'.  It will bring up 49 threads of discussion about the bog coat.  Also, in Threads issue 87 (page 36) of March 2000, there was an article & drawing of the pattern (there isn't an actual pattern - you just fold the fabric to the roomy size you want in the sleeves & cut the fabric for ease over your hips - easy).  Have you also googled bog coats?  There are a few websites on these, with beautifully embellished coats.  They are easy to make, as they have only 1 main seam (plus the finishing seams, of course, depending on whether you add a collar, hood, cuffs, zipper or buttons, etc.).  I hope that answers your question.  If you have others, feel free to ask away, as I've made 2 bog coats (one being an extremely warm winter coat with Thinsulate underlining).  Both were made out of queen sized blankets.

Sewslow67 just posted the web links she found - so please check the next post 8735.32.  The Weaver's Wisdom link gives a much clearer picture of how you fold your fabric (page 5), but the Marcus link gives the directions.  The other links show beautifully embellished coats.

Gloria

Edited 10/1/2008 7:14 pm by Gloriasews

37. sewslow67 | | #81

Hi Gloria,

I was curious after your post, so took your advice and googled Bog Coat.  Here are just a few of the really interesting websites that I found.  Thanks for the push ...as it made for an interesting ...and fun ...subject to check out.  I hope both you and KharminJ enjoy checking these out.

http://www.mtnladyarns.com/weaving.pdf

http://www.marcusbrothers.com/makeit/projects/bog_coat/index.html

http://www.larkinart.com/wearable/bogcoat/

http://home.nycap.rr.com/nancyschlegel/bog-coat.html

38. Gloriasews | | #82

Thanks so much for taking the time to find the links (I was busy on other things & thought I'd do that tomorrow) - you've saved me much time.  I'll send another post to Kharmin to make sure she looks at yours. 

Gloria

39. KharminJ | | #83

That's okay, Gloria - I did see it - "See?!" tee hee!

And Thank You very much! to sewslow, too!

I haven't looked at the links yet, (just got home from work) but I'll let you know what I find. Your directions Do make it sound simple.

I'm pretty sure I don't have that issue - I wasn't doing much sewing at that time - but I'll check the files (read: boxes) tomorrow.

Thanks again ~

Kharmin

40. Gloriasews | | #85

You're welcome.

Gloria

41. sewslow67 | | #90

You are most welcome, and the credit goes to Gloria; after all, she is the one who's brain was working on this one.  All I did was to follow her lead ...and you have all inspired me to go forth and plan yet another project and make a Bog coat as well.  Like most on this forum, it's not like I need another project though ...giggle!

42. sewslow67 | | #89

You are most welcome, Gloria.  I had to move most of my sewing equipment and supplies to a temporary place for a few days, so I am slow in "doing my homework" for another thread (and I cannot remember which one, at the moment).  Anyway, I said I would experiment on fleece, so I hope to get it done soon.

DH went to the city yesterday and purchased the last of the materials to complete the job ...hopefully, most will get done today.  He has to finish the archway, and then the hardwood floor (that I chose from a bunch of photos he showed me).  I can hardly wait to get that old carpet ripped out of there and the new floor installed.  It will be so much easier to clean and ...the puppy won't have anything to chew up and regurgitate!  Wow!  What a concept ...giggle!

Thanks again for passing on the information and for your patience in my slow response.

43. Gloriasews | | #91

Wow - your studio will look gorgeous by the time you're finished (or your hubby is finished, that is, with the heavy work).  Then you can finish it with the painting & stencils - can't wait to see the pics. 

I wish you a safe trip south again soon, too.  Take care.

Gloria

44. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #84

Did you add a collar or hood to your bog coat Gloria? Cathy

45. Gloriasews | | #86

The first one (my trial coat), I didn't add a collar - just bound all the edges in black velvet & did the loop & toggle closure at the front.  It was made out of a very cheap teal blanket, lined with off-white heavy flannelette (one of those flannelette sheets with the pink or blue stripes on the end, but I cut the strips off).  Obviously, for my trial coat, I didn't want to spend much money on it.  I left the sleeves loose, & embellished the back, front & pockets with random pieces of nylon in shocking pink, black & turquoise.  Even though this blanket didn't wear well, I got a few year's wear out of it for 3 seasons out of the year).

The second coat was a winter coat made with a more expensive steel blue blanket, lined with cotton print & underlined with Thinsulate.  I put a fairly tight mandarin collar on with a fairly large silver button closure, invisible zipper down the front, & fairly tight buttoned cuffs on the sleeves (I narrowed the sleeves very slightly & gathered them at the cuffs).  Again, I added large pockets.  This coat was embellished with appliques of the blue & burgundy floral lining (just the florals) on the back across the shoulders & front upper area.  I quilted the appliques, as well.  This was the warmest coat I've ever had in my life, & I'll certainly make another one when my present one wears out, but I'll put a hood on it next time.  Both coats were washable. Unfortunately, I did not take pictures of either coat.  (I'm older & wiser now :)).

Gloria

46. User avater
            ThreadKoe | | #87

Thank you Gloria. I had seen some of the beautiful quilted bog coats only recently, and the ones I had seen before were the hand woven ones, or ones made of some pretty rustic looking fabrics. None of the ones I had seen had collars or hoods. I like the idea of a hood or collar on a cold weather jacket or coat. This may be the type of project for that wool coating I have. Cathy

47. Gloriasews | | #88

I've found that the hood is really necessary in our Cdn. winters - keeps me so much warmer - & no chilly breezes blowing down my neck, nice warm ears & head, & no squashed hair from a toque.  Try it - you'll like it.

Gloria

2. Gloriasews | | #5

Welcome back, Rodezzy - we missed you!  See my post to CherryPops about this beautiful jacket (I love it, too, but don't know how flattering it would be on me - I'll be thinking seriously about it, though, especially what fabrics to use - so you see?  I'm already planning).  The jacket in the magazine looks like it has dolman sleeves, so it would be easy to make, except for the time involved in making the strips.  I also loved that orangey dress in the article about the sheer inserts (too bad they didn't show the back view).

Gloria

1. rodezzy | | #41

Hi Sweetie:  Good to be back.  That coat has strips throughout.  Remember the strips are twisted and sewn in the opposite direction toward the bottom, creating the illusion of "now you see color, and now you don't."  giggle.  The strips are sewn in the opposite direction on each have of the coat back.  This is what I loved about the coat, it resembles a open fan.

Oh, I just loved your story about making that coat so long ago.  I bet you were the "Cats Meow".  giggle

Edited 7/21/2008 11:32 am ET by rodezzy

1. Gloriasews | | #45

Yes, those strips are like the Breyer quilts (great website, eh)?  I'm reading these posts with much interest, as I'm mulling over making myself a striped jacket, too, or coat.

Gloria

1. katina | | #47

Hi Gloria, Rodezzy

I'm thinking I'll make a tote bag first with this technique. Not much to go wrong!

1. Cherrypops | | #48

mary ray from the article enjoys her 'piecing'. on this link scroll down and you will see more. http://www.craftstylish.com/item/2100/make-a-string-quilted-journal

more here on her home page http://www.maryraydesigns.com/gallerypages/blue.html

Last year, I made a mini-pillowcase, combined ribbons and braid, for my best girlfriend. "Strip pieced". She loved it.

If you can sew a straight line you can sew anything! Hmmm I'm a designer too :)

2. katina | | #49

Hi Cherrypops

I can see why she'd love it. I mentioned elsewhere here that I make many pillows, totes and the likes for friends. If I'm giving more than one cushion, I also make a bag to carry and store them in - that way people can put them away during the winter.

Edited to add: by winter, I'm referring to the cushions etc I make for outdoor use on terraces, etc

Edited 7/22/2008 4:54 am ET by Katina

3. rodezzy | | #53

Hummmmmm you gave me a great idea.  I have lots of fabric left from my best friends mothers clothing fabric.  I could string piece her a carry all bag.  She would be so frantic about it.  She loves me any way, but will love me more for that.  I can see her eyes lit up like a Christmas tree.  giggle.  Thanks, that will be a present for her over the holidays.  What a great idea.  Waaaaaaaaaa whoooooooooooo!

Edited 7/22/2008 9:37 am ET by rodezzy

4. User avater
            JunkQueen | | #54

You go, girl!

5. rodezzy | | #52

Now, that makes sense.  I nice, small, simple project to experiment with the technique and see how it goes.  I usually don't have that much sense.....giggle.

6. Gloriasews | | #55

Great idea!  Do show a pic when you're done.  Have you chosen your colours yet?

Gloria

7. katina | | #58

Hi Gloria

No, haven't chosen yet, but was wondering about using some Indonesian batiks. They're patterned, of course, but I'm quite intrigued by what the effects would be if I used a solid black at intervals? Or would the batiks not show enough contrast as the tucks are flipped? I'm hoping to make a 'sophisticated' tote.

8. Gloriasews | | #59

I would think that there would be enough contrast if the batiks have some colour to them & aren't nearly as dark as the black.  Do a small square & see how it looks.  Good luck.

Gloria

9. katina | | #61

Yes, agree with you, Gloria. For me, the process is often the best part. Lucky those people who can have an idea and then execute it to completion without the urge to tweak. I want to try black on the darker batiks; for the lighter ones I'll experiment with different contrasts.

Thanks - Katina

10. Gloriasews | | #66

Let us know how both experiments turn out.  I'm assuming that the black & your dark batiks provide enough contrast, eh?

Gloria

11. katina | | #68

Yes, they look good in the fabric, but I might have to cut selectively to include as much as possible of the lighter areas, and I'm getting reluctant. Would be a pity to chop a fine fabric into bits. We'll see!

12. Gloriasews | | #70

If your first project is a tote bag, maybe try it with something less than your fine fabric & see if you like the effect.  If it turns out well, go ahead with the better fabric.  I can certainly understand your reluctance in cutting your fine fabric, as there may be too much wastage in cutting selectively for the colour effect you want.  Let us know how it goes.

Gloria

13. katina | | #72

You remember that old saw 'If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"? Well, to paraphrase that 'if ideas were completed projects, I'd have a fabulous wardrobe"!!

14. rodezzy | | #73

Ditto that!  he he

15. Gloriasews | | #74

Me, too!  I do a lot of creating in my head (wishes & plans) &, lately, not enough actual sewing.  I must get back to it (& spend less time on these threads :)

Gloria

16. katina | | #75

Head creating's good - staves off the Alzheimer's apparently.

17. Gloriasews | | #76

I'm hoping :)

Gloria

2. rodezzy | | #42

Oh, yes, I like the sheer insert article too.  This whole threads was encouraging and interesting.  I've been sewing all weekend and all last week.

1. Gloriasews | | #46

You're right - this Threads was a really good issue - I read every article - some a couple of times.  I'm still trying to figure out that orange dress in the sheer article as to how the back looks, as I really like that dress (I couldn't wear that colour, though).

Wow - sewing all last week & all weekend?  What are you making now, you creative person, you?  Will there be pictures posted soon?

Gloria

1. rodezzy | | #51

I made a strapless denim dress that I wore to my niece's party on Saturday with one of my crocheted shawl's that I made last year and had never worn.  This was the perfect dress for it.  I made a very unstructured washed out denim dress to wear to work, I have it on today with a rtw denim vest.  I attempted to make that white twill (denim) dress, it didn't come out great, it was more fitted, and needless to say, I have problems fitting my butt.  However, I refuse to only make sacks.  I need to take a fitting class for my personal fitting issues.  Don't have the money now, but I am going to have to get some direction in person.  I crocheted a capelet and one is being fringed.  I'm getting really good at designing my crocheted projects on my own, and I made one from a pattern.  Nothing last night but ran a few arrands and rest. 

1. Gloriasews | | #57

You have been very busy & productive.  The denim dress & vest should be quite pretty, eh?  Do post a picture.  As for the white halter dress (isn't that what you had planned?), if you make the skirt quite flared or gathered, you shouldn't have much trouble with the backside area :).  It'll work out.  In the meantime, you're doing great with the free-range crocheting :).

Gloria

2. rodezzy | | #62

No I didn't do the white halter dress, I did another pattern for the white dress instead, which had six sections to it.  I have altered it to get some wear out of it though.  That Indian blanket sounds beautiful.

3. Gloriasews | | #67

Did the 6 sections in your white dress constitute the whole dress or just the skirt?  If just in the skirt, you might have needed 8 sections to provide enough fullness.  How did you alter it?

Yes, those Indian blankets are really pretty - especially in turquoise/rust/gold colours.

Gloria

Thanks for the link about the Capote coats - very interesting!

Edited 7/24/2008 3:39 am by Gloriasews

4. katina | | #69

Must say, now that my hips have decided to expand their horizons, gored skirts offer a way out of a tight fit.

5. Gloriasews | | #71

You're right - gored skirts are the answer & are less bulky around the waist than gathered or pleated skirts.  Maybe the full circle skirt will make a comeback (crinolines & all) - those hid all kinds of lower body flaws, eh?

Gloria

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights