Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Simplicity 5190 Bias Dress

berniejh | Posted in Patterns on

has anyone made this Simplicity dress – it’s a pullover bias dress.  I like the look of it but don’t know if I’m brave enough to try it.  Just wondered if anyone out there has had a go??

Replies

1. opalmom | | #1

I have to say that is a lovely pattern...I think I need to go get it....TODAY! (LOL).....the only thing I can say that you might want to consider, is to  make sure you get TRUE BIAS before you do any cutting.

Keep us posted on your progress (and if I do manage to get that pattern, I'll keep you posted as well)

1. berniejh | | #2

Hi Nancy

I've made bias skirts before without any trouble, but I'm not sure what you mean by getting the true bias.  Can you explain for me please??  Maybe I'm being a bit thick but if I make it I want to get it right!.

Bernie

1. opalmom | | #3

True Bias is the true diagonal across the warp and weft.  If you've made Bias skirts before you know what you are doing obviously.  I had a friend once try to make some bias for quilt binding and it wasn't TRUE bias and it was all wonky.  My first attempt at a bias skirt, I didn't get the true bias and it came out a bit "off".  Course now that I've mastered the bias tube, I don't have that issue anymore.

Thats all I meant.  Sorry to confuse

1. HeartFire | | #4

its interesting this talk of bias. I once was making some flower roses - you cut a very long football shape piece of fabric on the bias,fold it in half lengthwise, gather up the cut edges and then roll it into a flower (they went on my wedding dress). I found that they looked much nicer when they were NOT on the true bias. They came out "wonky" (great term) but made them look better. - Now I wouldn't recommend that for cutting out a bias dress, but just thought I'd mention that there is a time and place for things not on the true bias
          Judy

2. berniejh | | #5

Hi Nancy

I have read about the bias tube on this site, but couldn't find any more info on it.  I used a commercial pattern with the bias markings already on it.  I have the book Easy Guide to Sewing Skirts by Marcy Tilton and she says to steam press the skirt pieces diagonally while gently  stretching the skirt lengthwise, so as to press the bias out.  Then it won't drop after it's made up.  That's what I did and it didn't drop.  The piece turns out long and narrow which is OK for a skirt, and especially for me as I have narrow hips, but I don't think I should do that with this dress, especially because it looks like it doesn't have a seam around the waist.    Are you able to tell me where I can find out more about the bias tube please?

Thanks

Bernie

Edited 12/6/2004 3:00 am ET by Bern

1. opalmom | | #6

If you look here: http://forums.taunton.com/tp-gatherings/messages?msg=3201.2

You can see that it was all in the Threads 107 issue, which I have.  If you don't have it, you can probably backorder it from Taunton direct (http://www.threads.com)

Its a great article and totally inspiring.

2. SewNancy | | #7

Just make sure that you add to the seam allowances and mark the seam lines.  Depending on your size  you might need 1 1/2" extra or more.  Also if you are not a perfect figure you might want to add ease too.

Nancy

2. ncamille | | #8

Yes, I've made the sleevless, wrap front version of this dress.  It wasn't very difficult, even in georgette.  It does not fit like the photo or illustration.  It's much more blousy on top, and the belt is not long enough to wrap around twice.  The version I made was not very flattering, partially because the shoulder is wide and blocky looking.  I would make the flutter sleeve version perhaps, in something with a little more weight.

Edited 12/18/2004 2:18 pm ET by Nicole

1. RoseMarie | | #9

I want to encourage you to go for the bias dress. I made the Vogue#V2784, not ever having done anything in a bias . It was not as difficult as everyone makes out. I also learned how to make a bias tube with this patt, how to make my own seam binding  and insert godets in the skirt and puffs in the sleeves.  You might want to make it out of very inexpensive fabric first to get the idea, although the hand of the final fabric may be a little different.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights