Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

source for 1000TC Egyptian Cotton

scrubble4 | Posted in Fabric and Trim on

Hi:  I have done a number of searches on different engines, using different search words, yet I cannot seem to find 100% Egyptian cotton.  I would like a very high thread count such as 1000 as I want to make a duvet cover for our king size bed and pillow cases. 

If anyone has any suggestions I am indebted. 

Thanks Scrubble4

Replies

1. jatman | | #1

Hi Scrubble, 

Last I year I went to The Cloth House in London and purchased a remnant that was a really fine, fine organic cotton.  I couldn't tell you the thread count of it but the texture is as soft as running your fingers through talcum powder.  It's heavenly.  They may have either what you are looking for or be able to point you in the right direction.

http://www.clothhouse.com/

Good luck!

JT

P.S.  Would you let us know where you do find it?

1. scrubble4 | | #2

jatman: 

Thanks for your answer.  Your cotton sounds divine.  In addition to asking for help here, I have also put out a request at Fabric Request Fabric.net.  I haven't used this service before, but the way it works (I think) is your request is posted and if any retailer can supply your need, they answer your email. 

I could find lighter TC at some of the online fabric shops which is lovely for garment sewing.  I thought the higher thread count would last my life in a duvet cover and pillow cases.  I may end up buying a Frette duvet from ebay, which seems to be the least expensive source for the best value that I can find. 

There are lots and lots of ready made Egyptian cotton linens from 300 - 1500 TC on the web.  There are also wholesale suppliers for very large quantities.  Smaller lengths of fabric don't seem to be available. 

"Would you let us know where you do find it?"

I will come back to Gatherings and let folks here know if I am successful.  I suspect others would like to make high quality duvet covers if they could find the fabric.

Thanks Scrubble4

2. MaryinColorado | | #3

Wow, that will be so cozy!  Try http://www.dharmatradingco.com or http://www.equilter.com I'm pretty sure Dharma has it in wide sizes.  Mary

1. scrubble4 | | #4

Hi MaryinColorado:

Thanks for the Dharma address.  I have them saved in my Favorites under dyes for silk dyeing.  I never thought of them for the Egyptian cotton. 

I went to their site, but did not see or find through a search any Egptian cotton, however, I sent them an email with my request.  I will let you know if I hear back from them.

Thanks so much Scrubble4

3. Teaf5 | | #5

I use king flat sheets to make duvet covers and pillowcases; at discount retailers, they can be quite reasonably priced, and there are lovely patterns and weaves available.

1. scrubble4 | | #6

Teaf5:  I have used flat sheets in the past to create my duvets, and I agree discounters are a great place to find them. 

Finding the 1000 Thread Count (TC) Egyptian cotton is the complicating factor in the task I have set myself.  In the pricing I have done so far, it is cheaper to buy a completed king duvet than to buy two queen sized flat sheets in the 1000TC EC. 

I may have to compromise in this project by either buying the completed duvet off ebay or by reducing my thread count goal.  However challenges are fun.  I have received a reply from Dharma Trading.  They don't have this material and were unable to suggest a source.  Hmmmm  Scrubble4

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights