Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Terminology help needed

CTI | Posted in Fabric and Trim on

Is there a term for a pleat or outward-facing tuck in a coat or jacket that goes from the back to front hem crossing over the shoulder, used as a decorative accent? I just scored a near new herringbone thigh-length wool(blend) coat with this feature. It is quite flattering and I would like to search out a pattern like this if I only knew the term!


Rereading this it might not be clear. Imagine trying to pinch up a too-big-on or falling-off-the-shoulder area and carry it over down the front and back. That may not be a better description, but surely someone knows what I mean and if there is a name for it.


It’s quite a lovely coat – double-breasted with fabric buttons (and a barely hanging on extra plain button inside), lined, with horizontal pocket slits to each outer side of the “tucks”. The over-the-shoulder accent is a more natural look than shoulder pads but gives some definition to shoulders without looking obviously false.


I passed up a deep purple silk jacket that needed shoulder pad removal and the tuck feature and am kicking myself as it was only $5! Maybe it will still be there tomorrow.


So, is there a word for this style? TIA!


Sorry, it appears this posted in the wrong forum. I must have moved the mouse or something. It should be in the General Discussion area.

Edited 1/1/2004 7:32:04 PM ET by CTI


  1. FitnessNut | | #1

    It sounds like this tuck could be a "flange"???? If not, then I'm stumped......


    1. CTI | | #2

      Thanks, Sandy, I will Google on flange clothing or something!

      1. CTI | | #3

        Sandy, this (pattern #3) is what I was looking for, only not quite so pronounced. Thank you SO MUCH for giving me the "flange" word :) If only I could sew 24/7..... or cook 24/7, or be productive 24/7 yeah yeah. Thanks again :)

        1. sewhat | | #4

          I am so glad you posted that question.  I have learned something, and I have found the pattern I have been searching for.  Got the fabric, but didn't like any of the jacket patterns  I had looked at - - but this is it.  Flange - that is a new one on me.  Isn't this forum great?

          1. CTI | | #5

            Carla I browse a few sites but the people here are the brightest :)

            It's a great pattern, don't you think? (Won't the plumbers be surprised when they search all forums for "flange" haha!)

        2. FitnessNut | | #6

          Sooooo, I was right?!!!! Wow. And yes, the plumbers will be SO surprised ; )

          I'm sure that design detail would be flattering to so many figures. I really like the pattern you referred to. Very smart and unique. The flange jacket design on that site is interesting as well.

          Happy sewing!


          1. CTI | | #7

            Yes Yes You were right! Thank you so much Sandy!

            This is a "classic" look that works well even on, uh, "older" figures like mine :)

            Great way to start the New Year, you did good :)

  2. CTI | | #8

    Just thought I should clarify my misrepresentation of the pockets. It turns out they are patch and nestled between the decorative tucks - very handy - although slits would also work well. (I had said "with horizontal pocket slits to each outer side of the “tucks”)

    Thanks again everyone!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All