Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Bernina QE 153

quiltdancer | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

Hello, I am new to this forum and a relatively new quilter. I have a Bernina 153 QE which has a recurring and expensive problem. The compact flourescent light on the machine has twice “burned out” or stopped working in the last 4 months.The dealer who replaced the light said she had not seen this problem before. It costs $140 to replace the light. Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am very discouraged, as otherwise I enjoy the machine and had hoped to use it for many years. Is it just Bernina that charges high prices for replacement parts? I am thinking of getting an Elna, as I am reluctant to buy another Bernina. Thank you for any advice.

Replies

1. kjp | | #1

did you have the repair person check the wiring for the light?  There may be a short that caused it to burn out. 

All the upper end machines have expensive parts.  :( 

1. quiltdancer | | #2

Thanks, I will ask her to check the wiring when I bring the machine in for a new light. It must be something to do with the wiring to the light. I'm wishing the machine had just a simple ol' light bulb I could change myself!

1. Elisabeth | | #3

Replacement parts and repairs should have a warranty of sorts. Four months is not a very long time for a brand new part so it might be worth asking. Or maybe you can do it yourself. There is a yahoo group called wefixit with people who love to fix sewing machines. Someone there might know just how to replace the light and know what is going on with your machine.

2. Kiley | | #4

Most sewing machine warranties cover at least 2 yrs for electrical problems but that does not usually cover light bulbs. If the bulb keeps going out because of an electical problem possibly you can get a refund for the problems you have had if the machine is still under warranty.

1. quiltdancer | | #5

Thank you to all who have responded to my post about the light on my Bernina 153. My Bernina dealer says that if the little fluorescent lights are bumped, the tube can crack. She had a customer break hers when she was putting on the walking foot...so perhaps that is what happened to mine, as I was trying to put the walking foot on, so in the future I will be very careful! I still have to spring for a new light, but these middle-aged eyes need it, so that's that I guess. Libby

1. TashaGirl | | #6

Your dealer's explanation sounds pretty "shakey"!!! i have had my QE153 for 2 years and I change feet, including putting on the walking foot A LOT! 

If they claim that you are breaking the bulb, I would insist on being shown the part!

These machines are designed to be moved around and the light shouldn't be sensitive to jarring  - i might question whether the dealer is installing the replacements properly!

complain louder!

1. quiltdancer | | #7

Thanks, I will question the dealer more closely about her installation of the light, especially when it is time to put the new bulb in...Libby

3. TJSEWS | | #8

I read with great interest that you are having problems with the light on your Bernina as I have as well.  Do you now have a working light?  Was it the wiring? 

In March 2006 I purchased a Bernina Activa 240 and a few weeks after purchasing the machine, the light went out.  Sometimes it would work and sometimes it wouldn't work.  Then it wouldn't work at all.  I brought the machine back to the dealer 3 times for the same problem and on the 3rd time, the dealer said they would replace the light.  I've been waiting for a month now for the new light to come in and have been getting the run around this week about whether or not the light has been delivered so that I can get it replaced.  I will be calling them everyday and become a pest until I get that light fixed.  I think they forgot to place the order. 

Besides my frustrations with the dealer, I am disappointed that I am having this problem with the Bernina.  I have read so many rave reveiws about Berninas but cannot share in the enthusiasm at this point.  Maybe I'll feel better once the problem is fixed once and for all as the machine does sew very well and I like the other features. 

1. quiltdancer | | #9

Hi TJ, I haven't had trouble with the light since having it replaced a year ago. I've been very careful not to bump it. It seems to be in quite a bit straighter this time, maybe the first replacement was not done exactly right because I remember it looked kind of crooked and didn't sit flush to the machine. I still like my Bernina, and use it almost daily. Though recently I purchased another machine, an Elna, for the bigger harp. I have yet to sit down and become acquainted with the Elna but I'm sure I will use it a lot too. It has more stitches than the QE153, but supposedly the walking foot is not as sturdy. I hope your problem is resolved soon. Yes, for the prices we pay for Berninas, they should be trouble free as far as I'm concerned! Libby

1. TJSEWS | | #10

Hi Libby, I finally was able to bring in my Bernina to the dealer today so that the light could be replaced.  I look forward to getting it back next week with the light working.  I am hopeful that the light will work (and last) as your second one has.

I am glad that the problem you had with the light on your Bernina was resolved. 

TJ

2. TJSEWS | | #11

Hi Libby,

Well, I brought the machine home with the light replaced and the light worked for a couple of days and then sometimes it would turn on and sometimes it wouldn't.   I brought it back to the dealer today.  I cannot tell you how frustrated I am with the machine.  As you said, we pay good money for Berninas so they should be problem free.  My old $250 mechanical Singer machine is more reliable than my $1000 plus computerized Bernina.

I hope that the dealer can fix it once and for all this time around.  We'll see!  I'm keeping my fingers crossed...

TJ

1. quiltdancer | | #12

What a shame that you are having such a hard time getting it fixed correctly. Have you discovered the Bernina 153 group on Yahoo groups? Usually those folks have good advice and the posts are always fun to read. I've gotten lots of good information about the machine from that group.
          Again, good luck with the next "fix"! Libby

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights