Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

pattern for dress (from thread 6761.1) ?

cloetzu | Posted in Patterns on

The dress below which was discussed in another thread (#6761.1) is definitely a good style for me.  I have a larger size bust (34DD) and go in just below that so the high waist accentuates the slimmest part of me and it hangs nicely below that and hides a tummy. The dress is new and was a bit pricey so I don’t trust myself to take it apart to use as a pattern for another one.  the key is the fabric – it is a thickish cotton that is heavy enough to fall somewhat straight.  I found a similar weight fabric last week with a really pretty red poppy design at the bottom of a white cotton.  Now that I know the style I want to recreate it. I looked through some pattern books at my local fabric store (Fabricville – Canada)  but can’t find anything that is similar. 

Has anyone run across a pattern similar to this dress?

View Image

I need a size 16 pattern to accommodate my bust but the bottom of the dress would be a 12.  there are 4 gathers at the waist on the skirt section, the middle is run horizontally with gathers and then the top has gathers under/for the bust to make it more curved.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

1. Josefly | | #1

That's a gorgeous dress. It's a little similar to the Vogue dress shown with a jacket at this address:

http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V2966.htm?tab=dresses_includes_designer&page=1

It doesn't have the ruching at the midriff, but that pattern piece could be cut longer and gathered at the side seams. Is your dress ruched in the back also? It also doesn't have the overlapping pieces in the top of the bodice, but I'm sure I've seen that in other patterns. You may need to combine 2 patterns to get both those features.

There's another Vogue pattern somewhat similar, with the ruching at the midriff:

http://www.voguepatterns.com/item/V8182.htm?tab=dresses_includes_designer&page=3

I think the poppy-print cotton you've described sounds great for this dress. Can't wait to read/see what you do with it.

Edited 6/10/2007 2:13 pm ET by Josefly

Edited 6/10/2007 2:15 pm ET by Josefly

1. cloetzu | | #2

Thanks Josefly.  The closest pattern I've found is also a Vogue - #9668. 

I think you are correct in saying that I may need to combine 2 patterns.  I like the top of the one you mentioned. 

Yes the dress has rouching all the way around the back and yes that would be relatively easy to recreate.

Thanks again!

1. Josefly | | #3

I edited my message above to include another dress pattern similar to your picture, but while I was doing that, you'd already looked at and answered that message! :>)Check out the second one - it has the ruching and the lap-over top if I'm not mistaken.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights