Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Pegged skirts and pants

PennyJ | Posted in The Archives on

I have heard that ‘pegged’ skirts and pants are very flattering, but what does this mean? 

Greetings to all sewers from Western Australia.  Are some of you getting out your atlases?


  1. sueb | | #1

    Pegged skirts or pants are those that taper to the hem.  Think of an upside down A.  Pants may also be referred to as "straight leg"  as well.  It just means that the pant leg is tapered down the leg to a narrow opening at the bottom.  I make all my pants this way, I'm fairly short (5 feet 1) so I think the tapered leg is a more flattering fit than a wide leg at the hem (we used to call them bell bottoms or flares).



    1. SEWSERIOU1 | | #2

      Pegged pants taper a great deal from the top of the leg to the ankle and have a very narrow opening.  They are usually ankle length and may just barely touch the top of the shoe/foot.

      Straight-legged pants hang straight down from the hips and are either very slightly tapered or not tapered at all.  Both legs widths added together with be roughly equal to or slightly less than the hip measurement.

      Boot-cut pants are straight-legged pants with a slight flare just at the hem. 

      Flared legs have a fairly tight fit in the thighs and then begin to taper outward at the knee, but the flare is fairly small, just slightly larger than boot-cut.

      Bell-bottoms are either tight or loose in the thighs and have a very exaggerated flare that starts at the knee and flares out.

      There are other types of pants out there also that are usually just a variation of some sort on these basic types.

  2. poppyqlewis | | #3

    maybe you know about this australian fabric i bought at a mill end bulk type store - called "cozzie" - gorgeous knit, blend of cotton, wool, rayon and poss. nylon based on burn test.  do you know anything about it?  thanks, martha

    1. PennyJ | | #4

      I see from another posting that you know that 'cozzie' means swim suit. Actually it is not a word I use as it comes from the East coast and I live on the West coast, but that aside, I have never heard of the fabric and it does not seem the sort of fabric to use for its namesake.  All I could suggest would be to contact the suppliers - but I'm sure that you have thought of that.

      1. poppyqlewis | | #5

        thanks anyway - i did try washing a test swatch, alas, will probably have to dry clean.

  3. rjf | | #6

    The pegged pants I remember from long ago weren't tapered much until a few inches above the ankle and they were fairly long so they draped quite a bit.  I think the pegging kept them from dragging on the ground.  Think "Zoot suit".    rjf

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All


Shop the Store

View All
View More