Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Sewing Knits on old Singer 201s & 221s

rtjnr8r | Posted in Fabric and Trim on

Hi, I have decades of experience with sewing woven fabrics, and only a little with sewing knits. The only machines that I have are Singer 201s and a Singer 221. I have a beautiful piece of 4 way stretch knit (polyester) that I would love to transform into a winter dress. It is possible to get decent results on a basic machine, say by stretching the fabric while I sew? I know that I need to use a ball point needle, but that’s about it. Thanks, in advance, J :^)

Replies

1. jjgg | | #1

I'm not familiar with your machine, does it do a zig zag?

The short answer to your question is Yes, you can sew knits on a regular straight stitch machine,

If you can zig zag, set it for a narrow , sort zig zag and sew with that, if you can only do a straight stitch, try winding wooly nylon on a bobbin (by hand - the machine puts it under too much tension) and sew with that. You will have to do some test runs to find the right tension. Also, either way, sew with a 1/4 inch to a 3/8 inch sem allowance, and then add a second row of stitching about 1/8 inch into the seam allowance - you will have a double row of stitching. This keeps the seam allowance flat and helps keep the threads from breaking if stretched too much.

Good luck - do several test seams and experiment with your machine

1. rtjnr8r | | #2

Thanks very much for your quick & thorough answer. -- The Singer 201s & 221s sew straight stiches only. I do have a zig-zagger attachment (somewhere .. hmm), but haven't used it very much. -- Also, I have never used wooly nylon, but I'll try to find some at the local shops. -- Question: does the wooly nylon thread go on the bobbin only, or on both the bobbin & top ? Thanks, again!

1. jjgg | | #3

put the wooly nylon in the bobbin only

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights