Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Simplicity 5508-Wrap Pants

SewFit | Posted in Patterns on

I purchased Simplicity 5508 (wrap pants) http://www.simplicity.com/index.cfm?page=thumbnail.cfm&cat=1&type=1&sec=6&StartRow=46 today while Joann’s is having $1.99 pattern sale.   I think they will be a fun gift for my daughter, daughter in law and nieces….(might even try a pair myself).   Has anyone tried this pattern?

Replies

1. solosmocker | | #1

This is near the very top of my to do pattern basket. I fell in love with these pants. I figured I could serge the seams, turn, and then topstich with a double needle to finish the edges. I think these pants are so cool. Looks like they will go together really fast, too. Please let us know how you make out with this project. Have you tried Pattern Review to see what they say?

1. SewFit | | #2

Checked Pattern Review and didn't find a review on them.... they look like a 2 hour project....like you said, serge and then top stitch.   If I get a pair done up, I will post a picture.  

1. solosmocker | | #6

Hi! After I posted last night I went to PR and did a search and came up with about 6 or 7 reviews, most with pictures. I learned the hard way that you don't put the pattern company name in the search box, just the number. You can also state where you want to look. One lady had some done is kind of a sheer print, very nice. Can't wait to hear how you do with these. Some of the reviews did mention the leg show.

1. fabricholic | | #9

Thanks for the tip on the search.

2. MaryinColorado | | #3

My grand daughter has these pants and a matching tank top in lightweight cotton.  I have them in rayon with a matching shawl.  Both are in Hawaiian type prints.  Very cool and comfy yet feminine.  Both were purchased, ready/made but should be easy to make and quick.

2. dotty | | #4

I bought a pair like this in a cheesy outdoor market in Italy. I loved them!! But my son who normally could care less about anything I wore was always embaressed when I wore them because they reveal a bit of leg when you sit down. It never bothered me. Also when you go to the bathroom you really have to take them totally off. So not great for events involving public toilets. It looks like this pair may have more overlap

1. SewFit | | #5

I did think about the bathroom challenges....for some as we age more than others, LOL

1. MaryinColorado | | #7

I took them off and hung them on the purse hook in the stall of public restrooms.  The leg show varies, you could add some velcro or inside ties like in a wrap skirt if it is really a problem. 

3. Teaf5 | | #8

I loved these pants in the 60s and 70s! To solve the restroom issue, I used a velcro closure in the back, and stitched one side seam (the left) closed at the hip. That way, only the right side opened all the way up when I untied the front. Otherwise, especially when rushed, I would get all mixed up about which part went where; during the construction you'll discover this happens, too!

On really drapey fabrics, I controlled the amount of reveal on the legs by topstitching the overlap onto the underlap from about 6" down from the waist to just above the knee. I left the top 6" open on one side so that I could get them on and off (and loosen the waist tie after a big meal) and left the legs from the knees down open for walking.

4. Pattiann42 | | #10

I made this pant in the late 60s & gave away two as gifts. 

Thanks for the info.  I was just thinking about it a few days ago (can't find my pattern).

Can be casual or elegant, but a little awkward if you need to potty!

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights