Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Bernina 1130

clairezbo | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I have a Bernina 1130, and the lights have stopped working. I checked both bulbs and they are fine. Any Ideas before I go to the repair shop?????? Seems like everything that needs to be fixed today is over 100.00$?????

Replies

1. Pattiann42 | | #1

How did you check the bulbs if they do not light?

1. User avater
      clairezbo | | #2

I had them checked at the hardware store. Do you have a suggestion???? on what is wrong????

2. katina | | #3

Sounds like there's a loose connection somewhere....

Katina

1. User avater
      clairezbo | | #4

the switch that turns on the lights is the same switch that turns on the machine. The machine is running fine. It looks like a trip to the Bernina shop for my buddy. I hate to leave it, really hate to be without it for any length of time. I will  be having separation anxieties. I have had the machine for around 20 yrs, and this is the first problem. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

1. katina | | #5

I would think the problem's very minor - the machine wouldn't run if it weren't. Is it possible there's a bit of lint caught where the bulb screws in? Can you clean the socket and the end of the bulb lightly with a cotton bud dipped in surgical spirit? Worth a try.

Katina

1. User avater
          clairezbo | | #6

well, thanks for the tip, i have had the bulbs out, but never thought to clean the tips or the sockets. "Surgical spirits" is an unusual term for New England, where are you from????

1. katina | | #7

It's what we Brits call rubbing alcohol! I hope it works.

Katina

2. User avater
            clairezbo | | #8

I thought you might be from the other side of the pond. I live in one of your countries old colonies, Boston Massachusetts. Thanks for the response, I will certainly give it a try, what do I have to lose???

3. katina | | #9

Lovely city, Boston. Yes, do try it as soon as possible and let us know.

Katina

3. lou19 | | #10

One of the bulbs in my 1020 stopped working for several months.

I didn't get it fixed, I use the machine several times a week, then it just suddenly started working again!!!!!!!!

Not sure what the problem was..........I spent ages fiddling around when it first went

1. User avater
      clairezbo | | #11

Well, isnt that the darndest thing????? I think I will wait a while and see what happens. Maybe I will get lucky too. 

1. Cityoflostsouls | | #12

I have a 20 year old house and my lightbulbs were forever burning out.  I was told at the electric store that the sockets would eventually corrode and do this.  I did fix the problem though-the new type bulbs (flourescent type) are working fine and not burning out.  However I was told not to use them in a closed shade.  These bulbs are saving me money and make a great light.  Maybe I could have used the method suggested (making sure the electric was completely off). I bought one of the expensive Ott lights and one of these bulbs in any lamp would do the same thing.  Great sewing light.  My Ott light is very heavy and tippy.  I don't use it.

4. peggyv | | #13

This probably has nothing to do with your problem, but I had replaced the bulbs on my 1130 with an LED light. It was great for a few months but stopped working. Since the LED light was guaranteed, I contacted the seller and he said that the 1130's have an "unfiltered power supply" (whatever that means) that caused the burnout. The seller has since fixed the bulbs to take care of this problem, but I wonder if this causes problems with lights on other 1130's. My original bulbs lasted many years, thought, so maybe not.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights