Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Best blindstitch hemmer around $300.00?

user-105952 | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

Any advice on brands & your experience with blindstitch hemmers?  I’m looking to purchase one and want to do the proper research first.

Thanks

Replies

1. rsew | | #1

I use a TacSew 500 blindstich hemmer, purchased four years ago in Portland, Or.

It suits me just fine I think I paid around $450.00 .

Sherry

2. beo | | #2

Reliable Corporation has blind stitchers starting at $299.00.  I have purchased their steam generator iron system and have been very pleased.  I'm considering the blind hemmer also, so pass along what you find!

3. alotofstitches | | #3

Are the blindhemmers hard to use?  A friend is having to start alterations in a dept. store and she needs to know how to work one.  Can anyone give us some help here?  she needs it ASAP!

1. stillsuesew | | #4

I have a love/hate relationship with my "The Blind Hemmer" #600 imported from Japan by Tacony. There is definitely a learning curve to using one. I have also used an older industrial Juki. You need to know something about tension adjustment and I think it comes with just trying it over and over again, because you need to know how to recognize what is happening with the stitch and what you need to do to correct it.
      Using it is relatively simply. Fold up the hem - you can pin it in place but keep the pins at the bottom of the fold and out of the way of the needle. On mine the pins will ride through on the far right out of the way of the stitch. On a fairly narrow hem you will have to pull out pins as you come to them. The hem needs to lay flat before you start. The machine will not ease in any excess, so it does not work well on curved hems. I usually tried it on a scrap of the fabric first. You are only sewing through two layers. Then you can see if the stitch shows through on the front and correct it so it doesn't go too deep. I usually start near but not on a seam where there is an extra layer or two of fabric, sew all the way around and overlap the last inch or so where I started. Leave a long tail and weave it back in under a few stitches with a hand needle so it doesn't pull out or learn to pull and cut it with the machine cutter that eliminates that step. When it was working well, it was a real timesaver, but some days it just didn't want to do anything. I have sent it back to TacSew twice to be repaired. They were very helpful and even available by phone. Just keep at it - you will be glad you did. Hope this helps. Sue

Edited 9/15/2009 3:13 pm ET by stillsuesew

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights