Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

can’t find 300 yd 280 g. yarn

fabricholic | Posted in Knitting and Crochet on

I am trying to learn how to do cables. I have a book on it and they made a purse using a Bulky 300 yd. 280 g. yarn for the purse. I was looking through a yarn supply magazine and didn’t see anything with these numbers. Most of them were 50 or 100g. I don’t understand exactly what one number has to do with the other or if it does. Will someone explain this to me?

Replies

1. rodezzy | | #1

The 300 is the total number of yards of yarn needed to make the entire project. 

The g. stands for grams in weight. 

The weight is a measurement of the yarn that concerns the size of the yarn, sport weight, bulky, worsted, etc.  The second site below will explain weight and how it relates to the yarn and/or thread. 

Check out the first site below for a discussion on guage. 

The next site explains all types of yarn and thread and how it is measured. (g. or grams)  Most labels give yardage and weight. 

The third is essential for yarn standardizations on the most labels and how to read them and what the symbols stand for.  I printed it out for myself.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/tutorials/gauge.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yarn

http://www.yarnstandards.com/

I hope this will help.

1. fabricholic | | #2

Thank you Rodezzy. I can't wait to check it out. I need all the help I can get with this knitting.Marcy

1. rodezzy | | #3

You are so welcomed, good luck with your project!  Send pictures!

2. rodezzy | | #4

I typed in 280g yarn and check out the site I got: It does say "heavy worsted weight yarn". 

http://www.cometosilver.com/patterns/palindrome.htm

1. fabricholic | | #5

What beautiful yarn! I wouldn't mind using that for a purse. I like that scarf, also. Thanks.Marcy

1. rodezzy | | #6

You are welcomed.  Happy knitting!

3. katina | | #8

You've come to the right place. Many of us knit and will help you all we can.

Katina

1. fabricholic | | #10

Thank you. There are many things that aren't clear when doing the cables, like I finally realized that when you do knit the yarn must be to the back and pearl, to the front. It's coming together, though.

1. katina | | #11

I'm so pleased to hear you say it's coming together - a positive attitude will get you right where you want to go. It seems you're a fairly new knitter? Are you working completely alone, or is there someone near who can help you? Knitting's really not difficult. What fascinates me is the levels of expertise knitters can achieve in one type of knitting, like say cables, or lace or stranded colourwork, without having ever tried some of the other techniques. It's such a huge and exciting subject, not to mention the stunning yarns today that can do so much of the work for you if you like colour and texture effects. And if it goes wrong, or you don't like it, you can frog it all back down to the yarn again. Marvellous. As we all know, it's not always easy to rescue fabric if you cut it out wrong!

Enjoy.

Katina

2. fabricholic | | #12

My grandmother taught me how to knit when I was a child. She helped me knit a vest that was popular in the sixties. All I remember from then is knit and purl. I have started back and look at knittinghelp.com and have bought their cd. My grandmother passed away long ago. She knitted sweaters for me and my cousins. She made everyone in the whole family an afghan before she died. I could use her help now. I kept reading that cables were not that difficult and since I haven't attempted a sweater or anything hard, just hats and scarfs, I thought I would try and learn the technique. I have all kinds of books. The purse doesn't look that difficult. Thanks for all your help.Marcy

3. katina | | #13

It's heartwarming to hear of happy memories of knitting like yours. No, cabling really isn't difficult, and a purse is a good place to start. Keep us updated and good luck.

Katina

4. fabricholic | | #14

Yes, they are good memories. I still have that vest.

2. joanfitzu | | #7

I work in a yarn shop, you need a total of 300yds of bulky weight yarn. NOT one skein that has 300yds in it.
    Bulky weight yarn usually means 3 1/2 stitches to the inch on a size 8-10 needle. If the label has a symbol,(a skein of yarn with a number on it) you are looking for number 5.

Old patterns call for ounces, the newer patterns call for yardage.

"Weight" in the yarn world is based on how many stitches to the inch.
    fingering, sport, DK, worsted, bulky, super bulky, are the names of the differnt weights.

Weight as in ounces or grams is considered, but yardage is what is most important.

I wish that the companies would all have a standard to go by, ounces or grams are equal to a specific number of yards or meters.

It is confusing at first if you go to a local yarn shop they should be able to help you. We look things up all the time, every yarn is different.
    Hope this helps.

1. fabricholic | | #9

O.k. Thanks. I know I can find the Number 5 Bulky. I just wasn't sure if it was heavier than that.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights