Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Feedback on Bernina Activa 240

LindD | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I am new to the forum. My kids are grown and I now have more time to devote to sewing. I pulled out my old Bernina Activa 140 and find that it is not sewing well. It does not feed slippery fabrics well and tends to get hung up when sewing over seam allowances. I was wondering if I should upgrade to a newer Bernina. I was considering the Activa 240. My interests lie in tailoring, sewing clothes and making curtains and other items for the home. I am not into embroidery so I don’t feel I need an embroidery machine. I was interested in other opinions as to the best sewing machine and sergers for sewing clothes and curtains. My budget is around $2000.00.

Replies

1. Cityoflostsouls | | #1

I will never understand computers-I was replying to you and looked up to find my daughters blog on Facebook on the screen-and lost my note to you!!!!!!!  You can buy a great Bernina in your price range but check into the cost of extra feet and accessories that you absolutely feel that have to have as these are expensive from Bernina.  Your feet and accessories that you have may work on your new machine.  They last forever but are higher priced than some other machines.  I have the Artista 165 but have not really loved doing the embroidery and probably could have saved a lot of money by buying just a good sewing machine from Bernina.  I have only used embroidery for gifts.  I bought Babylock sergers for the ease of threading.  Don't do what I did.  Buy one machine at a time and learn to use it before buying something with another learning process.  I love Bernina.

2. joanier | | #2

I have a Viking Designer 1 and before that had a Viking 1+.  I have loved both of my Vikings.  On the other hand, I also have a Bernina 1530 that does some things much better than the Vikings.  A sewing machine is such a "personal" and "touchy feely" thing for me my suggestion is that you sew on machines in your price range from the major companies you would consider and see how they "feel".  That can make all the difference IMHO.  Also, buying a machine that has a good dealer attached is not such a bad idea either.  If there is a dealer that is local and has good classes, is dedicated to their product and promotes enthusiasm it can go a long way in helping you be satisfied with a machine. 

I keep hoping somebody will make one machine that does everything the best but alas, they have done so yet.  And if they did I'm sure it would cost so much more than most of us could afford it would be impractical.  :-)

1. SewistKitty | | #3

Were you planning to trade your current Bernina in as part of the purchase price? I just consulted Pattern Reviews sewing machine reviews to see what owners of the same models of your current Bernina said about it. There were two reviews. Both called them workhorses.
      Have you considered getting the one you have serviced before making a decision? Good luck with whatever decision you make.
      Kathy

1. LindD | | #4

I was going to keep my old machine so that I wouldn't be without when the new one went in for service. I have a daughter that would like to start sewing so I might lend the old one to her.

1. Palady | | #5

If it's workable, seriously consider keeping your old machine and service it.  I've read many a post these past years where folks have regretted giving up an oldie when a new on came on the scene.

To the point, some have gone back & repurchased their "treasure."

An important note on olders, and newers, is following the manufacturer's specifed maintenance.   Especially cleaning the race, and oiling if it is called for.  Shop service is in order as well.

nepa 

Edited 7/29/2009 12:01 pm ET by Palady

3. User avater
    ThreadKoe | | #6

Before taking the plunge, get your machine cleaned and serviced. If it has been sitting a long time between uses, it probably needs to be oiled and lubed. Do a search on your machine on the internet, and look up the reviews and clubs on older machines as well. You may find you have more than you think in an older machine. Best to find out the true value of an older machine before getting a newer one. If you want the updated capabilities of the newer machines, you will have time to research and try the machines, with no hurry. I have an ancient (30+ yr old Bernina) that I will not upgrade, unless it blows up. I will add more machines to the stable, to supplement her tho. :) Cathy

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights