Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Machine advice $500-700 Necchi? Viking?

m1khaela | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I’m a young sewer (24) buying my first sewing machine and I would really appreciate some advice. I’m looking to spend $500-$800 on a reliable, versatile, user-friendly machine that will last. I’m currently looking at a Necchi (made by Janome) or maybe a Viking, but I’m open to suggestions for Bernina, Elna or Babylock.

I want to sew clothes, home decor and quilts, and I’d like a decent amount of stitches, but I don’t need a special embroidery machine. I wouldn’t mind getting a sturdy mechanical machine instead of a fancy computerized one (I’m not against computerized but I want to use a magnetic seam guide if possible). What I’ve been looking at:

(1) The Necchi Omega 6147 (msrp $1,000, but sells for $500ish)
http://www.sewfastseweasy.com/items/Sewing+Machines#Necchi+6147

Does anyone have any experience with this or a similar machine? I would be buying it through the small sewing store where I am taking classes, so I would get very good training on it. My wonderful sewing teacher swears by it, but she also has a financial interest so I was hoping to get unbiased advice.

(2) Some type of basic computerized Husqvarna Viking, maybe a Freesia 425 or a used Lily. My mother has a Viking and unlike her old Brother it has never had any stitch tension trouble. She swears by it, and I’ve sewn on it quite a bit, but I find the interface a little confusing. If I did this I wouldn’t get quite the same hands-on training as with the Necchi.

Please help, I’m totally lost here!

thanks so much,
Mikhaela

Edited 10/12/2004 6:35 pm ET by Mikhaela

Edited 10/13/2004 3:07 pm ET by Mikhaela

Edited 10/13/2004 4:44 pm ET by Mikhaela

Edited 10/13/2004 4:45 pm ET by Mikhaela

Replies

1. lifelongsewer | | #1

Hello Mikhaela,

As far as I am concerned, Viking and Bernina own the market in quality and reliability.  Please understand that computerized machines are just as sturdy as mechanical machines, and the newer gernerations of computerized are much more reliable, powerful, and controllable. 

They are actually much easier to use, because all changes are at the push of a button, whereas on mechanical machines, changes have to be made with dials.  Over-riding a previous stitch choice on a computerized is done at the push of a button, on mechanical, there is a lot of dial-cranking. 

I also love that I can fill my bobbin thru the needle, I do not have to 'fish' for my bobbin thread after dropping in the bobbin, needle-up-needle-down button, speed control, and a whole lot more.  I treated myself to the Viking Designer II, and ADORE it!

$700 can buy you a very good Viking computerized - the Freesia, or the newer Scandinavia 200.  Get a bit 'more machine' that you think you will need - you will grow into it!

Kay in LA

2. SewNancy | | #2

Love my Viking it is a Platinum 750 but I noticed that they came out with a new line of sewing machines that is just below in price.   I had a 20 year old Viking when I purchased a new one last year and I am so glad that I did.  I love the drop in bobbin and the automatic thread pickup and the ease of use.  They stand by their machines no question asked and it doesn't have to be oiled. 

Nancy

Edited 10/21/2004 9:29 am ET by Nancy

1. m1khaela | | #3

Thanks so much for the advice! I was originally going to get a new Viking Interlude 435, since it was on sale for $688--but when I went to the store yesterday (Sew Right in Queens, highly recommended for anyone in the NYC area!) they also had a slightly used Platinum 730 for $700, so I went with that. I LOVE my new machine, and the sewing advisor is really useful and not gimmicky at all. Now I'm just worried I'll never get anything done around the house because I'll be too busy sewing...a very happy Mikhaela

1. GreyKat | | #4

I just caught this discussion and had to comment. I had purchased a Necchi years and years ago (25+) and hate it. It NEVER sewed right. I always had trouble with jamming threads--regardless of how often I adjusted tension--and the foot peddle never operated smoothly. I recently purchaged a Viking Interlude and it's simply amazing. Night and day difference. It was not cheap, but worth every penny because now I'm actually USING it!Enjoy
        Greykat

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights