Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Rotary Chalk Marker

lakaribane | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I work with Burda magazines, usually so I’m always adding seem allowances. Recently, I read a reference somewhere to a Rotary Chalk Marker.

Does anybody here use this in sewing? I tried to find a pic online but nothing really explicit.

Is it like those rotary cutters? I mean a plastic gadget with a handle and a hard, round chalk?

If anyone does use this in their sewing for transfering seem allowances, marking lines etc. I’d appreciate a review and a pic. Thanks!


  1. lorisews | | #1

    You can get an adjustable guide arm for Olfa rotary cutters that allows you to add the seam allowance while cutting - set it to the desired width, then follow the edge of your pattern with the guide arm when cutting.


    1. lakaribane | | #3

      Thanks lori, that sounds like a great gadget to have.

  2. User avater
    CostumerVal | | #2

    There are quite a few on the market under different names.  They all work the same, the barrel is hollow and you fill it with powdered chalk and put the cap back on.  The bottom has a very tiny slit in it and a thin metal wheel with teeth protrudes through the slit.  Inside there is a metal bar that rubs against the wheel.  The bar scraping on the teeth of the wheel both cleans the wheel and vibrates more chalk to the bottom and through the slit.  The thing to be watchful for is the pressure of the spring against the wheel.  My first one (generic triangle shape) the spring was so powerful that the wheel wouldn't turn.  That thing could shred denim.  This one is so fine that I can draw a chalk line on the inside of my forearm.  I recommend opening the package and trying it out in front of the clerk before you purchase.

    I use it to mark seamlines.  Today they are the replacement of the carbon paper and tracing wheels we used to use.

    1. lakaribane | | #4

      Val, I think the picture you sent sealed the deal. I absolutely need something like that!!! Thank you so much for showing me "the proof [in] the pudding", LOL.

  3. Pattiann42 | | #5

    Take a look at the Pen Style Chaco Liner.  They are shaped like an ink pen and can be refilled.  I have the version that is about the size of a tube of lipstick, but think I might try the pen too.

    There is a listing for the pen at http://www.ConnectingThreads.com

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

View All
View All