Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Silk Velvet – 100%!!

McKinley | Posted in The Archives on

I know it would be very costly, but I want very much to find a resource for 100% silk velvet for fashion fabric (not upholstry grade). Of course it is common to find rayon/silk velvet – but does anyone know of a resource for 100% silk? (the only way I have seen it thus far is in vintage clothing from say the 1920’s). Do designers have access to it? Thank you.

Replies

1. lin_hendrix | | #1

Hello,

You should probably contact Thai Silks/Exotic Silks.
    They have a decent color assortment of quality silk velvets
    plus quite a few silk velvet burn-outs. I can't remember the exact price but it was reasonable, maybe $20/yard. If you live in the San Francisco Bay Area it's worth a trip to Los Altos to visit their retail store. Otherwise they have an extensive swatch group by mail (I think $20 for everything they have). Another source for a more limited color range would be Silk Road (right here in Austin!).

Anyhoo the web sites, http://www.exoticsilks.com/ and http://www.srfabrics.com/

You also posted on silk knits--that's tougher. Thai Silks has off-white and black silk + lycra stretch knit, natural and black silk noil knit. The lycra blend is a decent weight but the noil is pretty thin and wimpy.

Do you know a friend with a standard gauge knitting machine? You may wish to ask them to knit you some fabric. There's a wonderful color selection of pure silk and silk and rayon coned yarn from Silk City (in New Jersey, no website). If this is an option let me know and I'll dig up their number so you can order some samples.

--lin

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights