Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Singer 401

katina | Posted in General Discussion on

Does anyone here use a Singer 401, or have any info about this model to share?

Thanks – Katina

Replies

1. B | | #1

This is one of the highly recommended slant-needle Singers.  There are some Yahoo groups which have a lot of info, such as slantneedleSinger and WeFixIt.  Based on that info I was looking for and found the 500A Rocketeer for $40 which was also a top-of-line Singer and it sews beautifully.  There are lots of feet and cams to increase the number of stitches. 

Don't know if you have this or are considering it, but it is a great home (NOT industrial) sewing machine.

1. katina | | #2

Thank you very much, B.  A very dear former neighbour of ours in US has emailed to say she's giving hers to me and I'm to collect it when next I'm back. Isn't that so kind of her? I'm hoping to familiarise myself with the machine, so I'll check those groups and see what I can learn.

I appreciate your response!

1. B | | #3

Lucky you!

Forgot to mention a great Yahoo group for info on the 401.   Lots of old mechanics, collectors, and lovers of the 401.  After joining, you could do a search on 401 and read a variety of messages.  Evidently  parts are available, and this machine ('50s to early '60s) is made with the metal gears.

vintagesingers

1. katina | | #4

B, thanks again for all your help. It's greatly appreciated.

2. User avater
    VKStitcher | | #5

Katina, I learned how to sew on Mom's 401-A, and she still uses it.  It was the top of the line when she bought it (50 years ago?), and a bit of a sacrifice for her to purchase it.  Parts and accessories are still available from dealers and also on Ebay.  You can use generic feet, but make sure they are for a slant-shank.  It sews beautifully, and true to its name it sings.  Your good friend is gifting you with a gem.

1. katina | | #6

Thanks very much for the encouragement, Vickie.

Katina

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights