Emerald Green Gown
This gown is the culmination of my sewing skills to date. It took many, many hours of construction, not to mention the years of inspiration and redesign. And I am thrilled with the result.
It all started with a fabulous Ceil Chapman reproduction pattern. Soon after, I happened upon the emerald green dupioni and the idea for my dress started to take shape. Two years later, I had an event requiring formal attire to attend, so with a month to prepare, I started on my adventure.
I added a steel boned corselette as a foundation, underlined the entire thing by hand with silk organza I dyed to match, and finished all raw edges with rayon seam binding.
As is always the case, no matter how much time I give myself, there are always finishing touches that end up getting done mere hours before I have to zip and fasten up the dress!
Because I did not have a suitable purse, I pulled out Simplicity 4159 from my stash. My embellishment of the purse helped me decide on the final embellishments of the dress. They are a combination of ribbon and silk dupioni leaves and flowers topped with beads.
And, of course, I needed a hair ornament of some kind to finish the look. I had originally expected to make more of a cocktail hat, but was running out of time, so a small fascinator with a bit of Russian netting that I had on hand was what I came up with. Looking at the finished dress, I believe that the small fascinator worked better in the end – a hat might have been a little too much!
My entire journey, from fabric dye to corselette, to the finishing touches on my purse and hair ornament may be found over on my blog, Lilacs & Lace, along with more pictures of the process and finished result.
Get the latest including tips, techniques and special offers straight to your inbox.