Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Balenciaga Mantle Coat — 1950

auntmolly | Posted in General Discussion on

In 1950, Christobal Balenciaga design what I think was called the Mantle Coat.  Does anyone have a color photo of it.  I believe it was on the back cover of an older issue of Threads.  And I can’t find a copy of it now.  If anyone has a copy of it, I would like to see it — at least borrow it for a very short time.  I am willing to pay postage both ways.

Thank you.

Replies

1. Ckbklady | | #1

Hello!

I came across this online - while it is only black and white pic of the Mantle Coat it may help you or other forum readers who want a visual reference for searching for a color pic. It is of Lisa Fonssagrieves, aka Mrs. Irving Penn, wife of the photographer, and is possibly the best known photo of the coat:

http://alaintruong.canalblog.com/albums/balenciaga/photos/9760651-balenciaga_mantle_coat__a___paris_1950__photo_irving_penn.html

Also, while not giving you what you're after, here is a lovely collection of enlargeable thumbnail photos of the Met's designer silk collection of the era:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hi/hi_txsi.htm

Also not entirely useful but nice to look at along the way is this series of pics from the Met of their Balenciagas:

http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/bale/hd_bale.htm

Perhaps to save you postage a forum member could scan the pic and present it here - is that permitted? I'm surprised that I cannot find a color pic of the coat on the vast Internet.

Good luck!

:) Mary

1. auntmolly | | #3

Thank you

2. BernaWeaves | | #2

The coat was in the June 1987 Threads.

It's also on page 83 of "Great Sewn Clothes from Threads Magazine."

I think it's just a very wide kimono with open sides, and then the shoulders and tops of the sleeves are just tucked up.

The color photo shows it in dark tan colored wool, and describes it as a scarf-coat.

"The sleeves and shoulder pleats are formed by a narrow taffeta ribon that runs inside the sleeves, from neckline to cuff, with each pleat tacked at approximately 4 inch intervals.  Despite its dramatic effect, the coat's armhole construction is actually a simple variation of the kimono."  Page 83  "Great Sewn Clothes from Threads Magazine" photo caption.

Berna

1. auntmolly | | #4

Wow!  Now I have to find that issue somehwere through inter-library loan -- if that's possible.

Thank you.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights