Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Canvas interfacing from Threads 110

samty | Posted in General Discussion on

I wish to try the pad stitching technique on page 24 of Threads 110, but I can’t find canvas interfacing at any of the local fabric stores or my favorite online fabric store. Does anyone have a good source for it? Or is there a substitute that I can find at a basic fabric store?

Thank you in advance.

Replies

1. MargaretAnn | | #1

Dear Sammie

To answer your request for a source for canvas interfacing, Sew True in New York City has it in their catalog.  Telephone 1-800-Sew True, web http://www.sewtrue.com.  I contacted them when I was studying mens tailoring; they have supplies for that as well.  The prices are low, and the service is fast.

Margaret-Ann

2. simokon | | #2

I was hunting for a source for hair canvas a few months ago and had a similar problem finding a source (none of the big chains carry it - don't bother looking).

If you're anywhere in the vicinity of the San Francisco Bay area (or know anyone who is), Stonemountain & Daughter in Berkeley carries it (two kinds, even).  It's not clear if they do mail order, though.

I bought a couple of yards of it (beware, it is expensive), and can't say that I can come up with any ideas for a reasonable substitute.

nokomis

1. Judygoeson | | #3

I highly recommend Stone Mountain & Daughters.  Their website is stonemountainfabric.com and they DO mail order.  Tell them what you are doing with it (the canvas interfacing) and they will send samples of whatever they have.  I visit family twice each year in the Bay Area and I always make sure I get to Berkeley to visit Stonemountain and some of the other shops there that I love.  Stonemountain sells natural fibers...cotton, linen, woolens and silk and some rayon.  They also have a great selection of notions and patterns not limited only to the "Big 4".  Best of all, they are just plain NICE and very good to deal with...that is probably why they have been in business for four generations!

Good luck! (I think the website is still correct; I haven't checked it lately.)

The pad stitching may take some practice, but once you get the knack for it, things go quite smoothly.  Again, Good luck and

Happy Stitching from JudyG

1. samty | | #4

Thank you all for your input. I really appreciated the help.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights