Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Juki HZL-E80 or ideas for $700 machine

Dar | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

All input greatly appreciated! New to the forum, but I’m back into sewing mode after moving to a new house and spending my summer gardening.  I’m ready to make a great cashmere swing coat for my pregnant friend and a fancy coat for my daughter. I received the best vintage patterns from ebay.  My daughter is going to look like Jane Banks from Mary Poppins! 

And I finally gave my dress dummy a breast reduction since the last time I refitted was after pregnancy.  But enough about that…

What I want to purchase is a new sewing machine that makes great automatic buttonholes (a few different kinds, esp. keyhole), will last, no superfancy embroidery, a few fancy stitches for creativity (alphabet would be great), and that is in the $700 price range.  I mostly sew clothes. 

I purchased a Juki Pearl line MO654 DE serger a few years ago and love it. Not one problem.  However, I hear such great things about other machines…now I’m ready to upgrade.  My mother’s 1968 Singer pooped out on me.  I picked up a EuroPro from a local store and what a mistake.  

Is there a Bernina, Viking, or other premium machine that is within my price range? I’d love to know if anyone has that Juki HZL-E80 I saw on AllBrands and a few other Internet sites. I just want the best for my dollar. It’s funny, because a sewing machine would be the only “luxury item” I’d own. 

Thanks for responding!  Hope I can give some input somewhere else.

Dar

Edited 11/10/2003 4:24:10 PM ET by Dar

Replies

1. carolfresia | | #1

Dar, there are a number of really good machines in your price range, and this is the season when the manufacturers traditionally release new or updated models, so browse online a bit to see which ones have features you want. It's worth knowing that, in your price range, you can get a whole lot more on a machine than ever before, so you've picked a good time to shop! Also look for pre-holiday specials at local dealerships. Usually they tend to be financing options, but sometimes you'll get some extras thrown in--presser feet, a rolling travel case, etc. Be sure to test-drive any machine you're considering to be sure you feel comfortable using it.

Carol

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights