Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Opinions of Bernina 440 QE

heyjude | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

I am considering buying the Bernina 440 QE.  The dealer on the Big Island of Hawaii does not have this machine in her store but can order one for me.  I can travel to Oahu but the extra expense of that is discouraging.  Can I hear opinions of this machine from people familiar with it.  Thanks so much.

Judith in Hawaii

Replies

1. merley | | #1

I just bought an Aurora 430. I didn't want the 440 because I didn't want the BSR. Therefore the  machine was not worth the extra money to me. Otherwise the machines are very similar. I looked at machines for a long time before I bought this one. I am very happy with my Bernina. It runs quietly and smoothly. My stitches look professional. I have not figured everything out on the machine yet. I am still a beginner.

What does the 440 have that you need? Maybe your dealer stocks other Bernina machines. Bernina is running some specials because it is their 75th anniversary. Check their website.

1. heyjude | | #2

This dealer's main business is a yarn store and she has a few Bernina's in an area to the side; none are the newest models.  She quoted me $3699 for the machine without the embroidery unit.  I am focusing on the 440 QE because the BSR foot does interest me.  I would like a chance to try it before I buy.  I am looking for a machine that will handle a variety of thread types, metallics, clear, rayons, without skipping stitches.  I currently do most of my sewing on a Singer XL100 which cannot handle these threads at all.  The other dealer here only stocks Singers and Vikings and when I approached her about a Bernina she said told me the newer Bernina's aren't the quality of the older ones and tried to steer me to a Viking.  I have to investigate how and where the machine would be serviced.   It looks like I will have to go over to Oahu to see this machine and make my decision.  Thanks for your input and enjoy your new machine.

Judith

1. Betakin | | #3

How funny about that Viking dealer trying to steer you away from a Bernina by saying the newer Bernina's are not the quality of the older Bernina's. You might ask her if she thinks the newer Vikings are the quality of the older Vikings. :)

Edited 4/20/2007 10:14 pm ET by Betakin

1. heyjude | | #4

That would have been a snappy retort.  I'm always a little bit slow on the draw in these type of situations.  I just find it a bit odd that the Bernina website lists this place as a dealer, and they are trying to discourage customers from buying Berninas.  The other dealer here that is mostly a yarn shop has a big Bernina sign over their storefront and isn't listed on the Bernina site.  I'm planning a trip to Oahu and will probably end up buying there as long as I can be sure there is someone here who can do any repairs, etc.

Judith 

1. Betakin | | #5

I have always loved Bernina's but I have never owned one. They are machines of true quality. I tested a 430 last week and it is a dream of a machine so I am sure that the models above it are even better. I also like the large new Viking Sapphire models with the sensor pressure foot. Babylock is coming out with the Quest model which is a new large machine for quilters and it has dual feed. I guess Pfaff and Bernina will be following with something spectacular also. I love seeing  all the new machines.

Let us know if you get your machine. Good luck, I hope you love the one you purchase.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights