Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Serger scarf in Threads 123

Alexandra | Posted in General Discussion on

This article is very intreging as I’m a scarf person and would like to try this. BUT, I don’t understand why the instructions say to trim off the stabilizer under the knife.  Why waste it?  Why not move the knife out of the way?  Anyone tried this?  Feedback please.

* -:¦:- *
        -:¦:- -:¦:--:¦:-
    -:¦:- ((¨* -:¦:- * ¨)) -:¦:-
        -:¦:- Alexandra-:¦:-

Replies

1. Guenevere | | #1

That's a good question. I have two sergers one is a top of the line " I do everything" serger with a coverstitch (Husky). My other is a standard serger it has a removable blade but if I do I still can't let the fabric go past where the knife would cut because it gets tangled in the parts. If most standard sergers are like that maybe this is why they said "trim". I know I could probably do it without triming on my Husky but I hate switching it from coverstitching so I'm not sure how it would work. Try a sample both ways and see if there's a difference.

I wonder if this scarf would be cool using wooly nylon since the thread of wooly nylon fills out a bit?

2. aliceb | | #2

I did two test scarves using the techniques described in Threads.  I had cut my stabilizer into approx. 1" wide strips so was not cutting off great swaths as I added rows of serged edges to my project.  I found folding and trimming the stabilizer as I went along, per the instructions worked just fine.  The stabilizer sort of stacks up as you go but then rinses out completely.  My first test was about 18" long, sort of a Barbie sized scarf worked out well enough I did a person sized scarf.  I ended up with something about 6 inches wide and made long dangly fringes on each end of various lengths.  It used up about 4-6 spools of rayon embroidery type thread making this project I had partial spools I was using in aqua, lavender and blue with a bit of hot pink here and there.  The person sized scarf I made quite long and find I don't want to wear it because it is too long even when doubled over and sort of looped around.  So decide the length you want ahead of time because these don't really lend themselves to shortening after the fact.  It was an evenings entertainment making this.  Good luck with your project :)

1. Alexandra | | #3

Thanks for your input.  I've snatched back some crotchet balls of thread destined for the Thrift Shop that I didn't know what to do with, now I do.  le sigh, it NEVER pays to throw anything away, I always regret it.

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights