Get Threads magazine!

Give a Gift

Parsons and Palmer/Pletsch create "My First Jacket"

Jackie Chaes jacket
Maria Silvas jacket
Jenny Yans jacket
Jackie Chaes jacket

Jackie Chae's jacket

Photo: Melissa Watson

by Melissa Watson

Hello all! Last semester at the Parsons School of Design, 4 girls made the Melissa Watson for Palmer/Pletsch jacket McCalls M6294 for their sewing I class. I would like to share with you their experiences, trial and tribulations! It was so great watching them pick out fabrics and add their own design details to the jacket. This jacket has been popular across the board. The woman who won "Win a Palmer/Pletsch Workshop" did so with this very jacket! The versatility and options seem to be endless, you can see with how the different girls made 4 very different looks!

Jenny Yan

This jacket is one of my first finished pieces that I had constructed from fabric to finish, and that is the most rewarding part of the project. I love seeing it and just knowing exactly how it was made. Sewing the lining to the jacket was probably the hardest part of the experience because - more than anything - it's was just hard to visualize how the patterns were going to look and how they were going to attach to everything else, especially since I had no knowledge of sewing prior to the class. But once I started to work on it, everything literally fell into place with each step. Tedious at times too though, because I would mess up with wrongly attaching one piece to another, and it took a while to rip the seams and do it over. However, the instructions included with the pattern was definitely helpful - without the guidelines, I wouldn't have finished the jacket when it was due! In fact, I actually finished it with good time, so I decided to do some extra design to it. I had just really wanted to add something unusual so that it can stand out from being a standard jacket - I attached an overflowing panel to the lining and a couple inches passed the hem. The panel is cropped width-wise, so the ends of it doesn't meet the front ends of the jacket. From the front, this creates two corners on both sides, and from the back it looks like I'm wear a longer layer of something underneath the jacket. The fabric I used also brought some design to the jacket - I had this navy blue (almost denim-y in the appearance) cotton poly blend fabric for the body panels, and a very lightweight salt and pepper tweed for the sleeves, collar & lapel, and the extra panel I added to the hem. It's great to have my first jacket to go so successfully like this and actually be finished with lining and everything, so I really enjoyed the project and creating this piece.

1 | 2 | 3 | 4 > View all

Comments (0)

Log in or create a free account to post a comment.