Facebook Email Pinterest Twitter X Instagram Tiktok Icon YouTube Icon Headphones Icon Favorite Navigation Search Icon Forum Search Icon Main Search Icon Close Icon Video Play Icon Indicator Arrow Icon Close Icon Hamburger/Search Icon Plus Icon Arrow Down Icon Video Guide Icon Article Guide Icon Modal Close Icon Guide Search Icon

Conversational Threads

Kenmore 19233 – is this a good machine

beccagrace | Posted in Equipment and Supplies on

My family purchased a new sewing machine for me for Christmas.  The model is a Kenmore 19233.  Which is a computerized Drop-In Bobbin Sewing Machine.  I have been sewing on a Singer Slant o matic 401 since 1960.  It’s about time for a new machine.  Before I take the new machine out of the box I need to make sure it will compare to other machines on the markedt within the $350 to $700 price range.

This New Kenmore has 215 stitch functions, 167 built-on stitches

5 styles of computerized auto-sized buttonholes.

3 one touch functions buttons ( needle up/down, auto lock stitch, reverse stitch)

7 pc feed dog system

7mm stitch width

15 needle positons.

Any advise would be helpful. 

Thanks

Replies

1. Betakin | | #1

One of my machines is a computerized Kenmore and I feel they have more features for the price than most brands.  It is made by Janome and a machine with the same features with the Janome name on it would cost much more. These machines have a 7 pc feed dog system that is outstanding. They are also some of the quietest and smoothest sewing machines on the market. You may notice a bit of difference after sewing with a slant needle however. I also was a Singer person for many years. I still prefer the slant needle for it's visiblity and lovely stitches but for todays machines Kenmore and Janome are some of the best on the market. I also own a Pfaff and a Viking. The Kenmore stands with the best of them especially when it comes to the wide and lovely deco and heirloom stitches.

Janome has just taken over as head of Elna in the USA and I don't know if they will continue making machines for Kenmore, Pfaff Grand Quilter and Viking Mega Quilter. They recently stopped making the HuskyStars for Viking..maybe because of their new role with Elna. They did make Elna machines for quite some time. I see that Sears no longer carries Kenmore sergers just recently on their website so maybe Janome will not have the responsiblity of making so many other brand machines as they used to. Kenmore models that start with the numbers 385..are made by Janome I am told and I believe your 19233 does start with 385 as the manufacturer number.

You might wish to look at the reviews on the 19233 on the PatternReview website. There might also be some owner reviews for your machine on Epinions.  I hope you enjoy your lovely new machine to the fullest.

1. beccagrace | | #2

Thanks for your reply.

I just wish Sears had classes for learning how to operate the machine.

I am also looking at the Kenmore 19606.  Do you know if this machine is also made by Janome.

I understand that the 7 feed dog is a very important thing to be considering.  Do you have any knowledge on the feed dog function of the machine.

I have visited the reviews, just want to make sure I am getting a good machine for the money.  Do you think I should check out the Janome's?

Becky

1. Betakin | | #3

My Kenmore has the 7 pc feedog system and it is wonderful. It so far has sewn all that my Pfaff with the dual feed has sewn. My Viking has not kept up with either of my other machines but it is also a nice machine with nice features. The 19233 came about just as my 19365 was discontinued. I don't think your model has a foot pressure control if that makes a difference to you. It has not bothered other owners and I don't use that control often with mine. As far as I know all Kenmores are presently made by Janome but the Sears website does have several other brands like Singer and Europro and Simplicity on it..maybe the changes since KMart took over Sears. If the Kenmore full model number starts with 385 then it is Janome made with 385 meaning it is the machines manufacturer. It is true that Sears doesn't offer classes but my machine and I think most of the Kenmore computerized models do come with a video. Between the video and the manual I don't think one would need any classes on the machines operation. Janome or Kenmore feet can also still be purchased at low prices from the Sears website.

If you have a Janome dealer near, I suggest to yes, compare the Janome models with the Kenmore you are considering. I have no local Janome dealer but from what I have seen posted the Janome machines with the same or less features than the Janome made Kenmores cost almost double the price. I have owned several Janome products from ordering them on line. I find the quality the same as the Janome made Kenmore. I wish I had a dealer close so I could see what Janome has to offer. I love the large Janome 6600 quilt model with the Acufeed from what I have seen on line and would love to see it in person.

I hope you have the chance to test many models if you decidie to purchase another machine so that you will be satisfied and love the machine you choose. I suggest to take your time and check out  the brand websites and learn the different features of each model..then try to test them.  You might love your 19233 but if shopping for another, good luck and enjoy your shopping. I think the 19233 is one of the best buys on the market.

Edited 12/28/2006 10:00 pm ET by Betakin

Edited 12/28/2006 10:07 pm ET by Betakin

This post is archived.

Threads Insider

Get instant access to hundreds of videos, tutorials, projects, and more.

Start Your Free Trial

Already an Insider? Log in

Conversational Threads

Recent Posts and Replies

• |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |
  • |

Threads Insider Exclusives

Highlights