As you all may know, I shop vintage and thrift shops, for fun and style. This green jacket was an item that kept speaking to me during some visits to the local Salvation Army. I initially resisted its advances, because of a case of severe wear along the edges. The amount of time it remained unsold was probably because others were put off by the worn edges as well.
However, I finally gave in and bought it, and figured out this fix, which will give it new life. The fix is to unravel the fabric at the edges, giving the jacket a brush fringe. If this looks familiar, it was inspired by an article I did a while back, in the tailoring series, called “Brush Fringe”.
As you can see in this photo and the next, there’s severe wear along the edges. This photo is the collar/hood area. The collar and hood have a facing, so there’s a seam along the edge.
The entire edge of this garment is topstitched, which makes the rescue easier. If you have a garment that needs this fix but that isn’t topstitched, you will want to topstitch (in this jacket, it’s 5/8 inch from the edge).
This photo shows the wear along the front edge. The front facing was cut as one with the garment, so there’s no seam right along the front edge, just a fold of fabric.
I’ll treat the front edge first, as it’s the easier of the two to do. Begin by simply cutting the fabric along the fold. This photo shows the edge after cutting, which reveals that there’s some interfacing caught in the topstitching.
Trim the excess interfacing as close as possible, to the machine topstitching–don’t cut off the seam…